Anyone wishing to drive taxis (hackney carriages) and/or private hire vehicles needs to hold a drivers licence. Vehicles to be used must also be licensed with us as safe for the public to be in. Those that run private hire businesses are known as operators and they need to be licensed too.
Our licensing policy and processes are in place to make sure that taxi and private hire provision in the area of East Northamptonshire is safe for members of the public to use and all applicants should familiarise themselves with these documents before completing an application.
All applications, new and renewal, must be made using our area application forms and must be accompanied with all of the documents we need to verify your application.Once you have completed your application form and have all of your required documentation ready please contact us to make arrangements to submit your application to us.
If we need you to attend our offices you must do so by appointment only.
If you have a driver, operator or vehicle licence that is due to renew shortly we will be in touch to remind you. Please ensure we have your up to date contact details.
If you are an existing driver you are reminded it is a condition of your licence to be subscribed to the DBS update service. If you are a new driver, you have 19 days from when your DBS Certificate is issued to do this.
As you will be only too aware, we are operating in a rapidly changing environment putting pressure on us all. Our officers are trying to provide a timely licensing service, that adheres to current government advice, while at the same time meeting emerging public health requirements. Please help us to help you by ensuring that you have the required renewal documentation in place in time for your renewal licence.
If you have any urgent concerns please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to address them in a timely manner.
Application forms are available to download here : taxi application forms.
It is important that all applicants read our Taxi Policy and associated documents to ensure they are aware of licence holder obligations.
If you want information about a registered taxi or private hire vehicle, driver or operator view our public register.
If you wish to make a complaint please contact us in the first instance by email to email@example.com
Taxi Policy and Procedures
The current East Northamptonshire Area Taxi Policy came into force on 1 September 2016
Taxi policies and procedures
- Taxi Licensing Policy Oct 2018
- Appendix A Criminal Records Policy
- Appendix B Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licence Conditions
- Appendix C Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Licence Conditions
- Appendix D Operators Licence Conditions
- Appendix E Penalty Points Scheme
- Appendix F Discreet Plate Policy
- Appendix G Drivers Application Processes
- Appendix H Vehicle Application Processes
- Appendix I Operators Application Processes
- Appendix J Policy for use of national taxi database
- Daily Vehicle Check Form
- Private Hire & Hackney Carriage Accident Reporting Form
- Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) presentation for the taxi trade
- Join the DBS Update Service
- CSE Booklet Taxis - July 2017