Our licensing policy and processes are in place to make sure that taxi and private hire provision in East Northamptonshire is safe for members of the public to use.
Anyone wishing to drive taxis and/or private hire vehicles needs to hold a drivers licence. Their vehicles must also be licensed with us as safe vehicles for the public to be in. People that run private hire businesses are known as operators and they need to be licensed too.
All applicants should familiarise themselves with our taxi policy and procedures before completing an application.
All applications, new and renewal, must be made using our council application forms and all of the documents we are required to verify must be submitted to the council by appointment only.
Once you have completed your application and have all required documentation please contact us to make an appointment.
If you are an existing driver you are reminded it is a condition of your licence to be subscribed to the DBS update service. If you are a new driver, you have 19 days from when your DBS Certificate is issued to do this.
If you have a driver, operator or vehicle licence that is due to renew shortly we will be in touch to remind you. Please ensure we have up to date contact details.
As you will be only too aware, we are operating in a rapidly changing environment putting pressure on us all. Our officers are trying to provide a timely licensing service, that adheres to current government advice, while at the same time meeting emerging public health requirements. Please help us to help you by ensuring that you have the required renewal documentation in place in time for your renewal licence.
If you have any urgent concerns please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to address them in a timely manner.
Application forms are available to download here : taxi application forms.
It is important that all applicants read our Taxi Policy and associated documents to ensure they are aware of licence holder obligations.
If you want information about a registered taxi or private hire vehicle, driver or operator view our public register.
- A message from James Button (IoL President): Driver safety during the COVID-19 crisis
The government have announced measures to be taken for MOTs for cars,vans and motorcycles:
If you wish to make a complaint please contact us in the first instance by email to email@example.com
Following a consultation with the trade, a new East Northamptonshire Taxi Policy ( and associated documents) came into force on 1 September 2016.
Changes to associated documents have ensured they are legally up to date and take into account best practice and emerging issues such as Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE). There are a number of key changes that the trade have been made aware of.
A proposal to remove 'Grandfather Rights' is still under review. This matter was put before the Policy & Resources Committee on Monday 11th June 2018 who agreed to carry out further consultation and extend the timescale for implementation.
Taxi policies and procedures
- Taxi Licensing Policy Oct 2018
- Appendix A Criminal Records Policy
- Appendix B Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licence Conditions
- Appendix C Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Licence Conditions
- Appendix D Operators Licence Conditions
- Appendix E Penalty Points Scheme
- Appendix F Discreet Plate Policy
- Appendix G Drivers Application Processes
- Appendix H Vehicle Application Processes
- Appendix I Operators Application Processes
- Appendix J Policy for use of national taxi database
- Daily Vehicle Check Form
- Private Hire & Hackney Carriage Accident Reporting Form
- Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) presentation for the taxi trade
- Join the DBS Update Service
- CSE Booklet Taxis - July 2017