Our licensing policy and processes are in place to makes sure that taxi and private hire provision in East Northamptonshire is safe for members of the public to use.
Anyone wishing to drive taxis and/or private hire vehicles needs to hold a drivers licence. Their vehicles must also be licensed with us as safe vehicles for the public to be in. People that run private hire businesses are known as operators and they need to be licensed too.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest advice for businesses operating/wishing to operate in East Northamptonshire:
Due to the ‘face to face’ nature of applications for private hire and hackney carriage driver licences, as well the pressure on medical services that these applications present, this council has currently suspended any processing of new driver applications until further notice.
We intend to continue to deal with renewal applications for existing licence holders for as long as possible and the process for dealing with these applications, while maintaining social distancing in accordance with government guidelines, is currently under review.
If you have a driver, operator or vehicle licence that is due to renew shortly we will be in touch to arrange how we may renew your licence while protecting the safety of both you and our officers.
If you have any urgent concerns please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to address them in a timely manner.
As you will be only too aware, we are operating in a rapidly changing environment putting pressure on us all. Our officers are trying to continue to provide a timely licensing service, that adheres to current government advice, while at the same time meeting emerging public health requirements. Please help us to help you by ensuring that you have the required renewal documentation in place in time for your renewal licence.
We will update you as soon as we are aware of any further changes.
- A message from James Button (IoL President): Driver safety during the COVID-19 crisis
The government have announced measures to be taken for MOTs for cars,vans and motorcycles:
Apply for a licence by downloading copies of the forms you need here : taxi application forms.
Please note: Once we have issued you with a drivers badge it is a condition of your licence that you join the DBS Update Service. You have 19 days from when your DBS Certificate is issued to do this.
If you want information about a registered taxi or private hire vehicle, driver or operator view our public register.
If you wish to make a complaint please contact us in the first instance by email to email@example.com
Following a consultation with the trade, a new East Northamptonshire Taxi Policy ( and associated documents) came into force on 1 September 2016.
Changes to associated documents have ensured they are legally up to date and take into account best practice and emerging issues such as Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE). There are a number of key changes that the trade have been made aware of. It is important that all licence holders read the policy and associated documents to ensure they are aware of their current obligations.
The proposal to remove 'Grandfather Rights' is still under review. This matter was put before the Policy & Resources Committee on Monday 11th June 2018. The committee agreed to carry out further consultation and extend the timescale for implementation to April 2020.
Taxi policies and procedures
- Taxi Licensing Policy Oct 2018
- Appendix A Criminal Records Policy
- Appendix B Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licence Conditions
- Appendix C Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Licence Conditions
- Appendix D Operators Licence Conditions
- Appendix E Penalty Points Scheme
- Appendix F Discreet Plate Policy
- Appendix G Drivers Application Processes
- Appendix H Vehicle Application Processes
- Appendix I Operators Application Processes
- Appendix J Policy for use of national taxi database
- Daily Vehicle Check Form
- Private Hire & Hackney Carriage Accident Reporting Form
- Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) presentation for the taxi trade
- Join the DBS Update Service
- CSE Booklet Taxis - July 2017