East Northamptonshire Council has reviewed its Taxi Policy and associated documents. Following a consultation with the trade, councillors approved the new policy and appendices and these came into force from 1 September 2016 and affect all licence holders. The changes to the documents have ensured that they are legally up to date and take into account best practice and emerging issues such as Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE). There are a number of key changes within the new policy that the trade have been made aware of. It is important that all licence holders read these documents and are aware of the new obligations.
People that drive taxis and private hire vehicles need to obtain a licence to make sure they are safe to drive the public. The vehicles also need to be licensed to make sure they are safe vehicles for the public to be in. People that run private hire businesses, known as operators, are also licensed.
The licensing process makes sure that taxis and private hire vehicles in East Northamptonshire are safe. You can make a complaint here about a taxi or private hire vehicle or driver, apply for a licence or view our public register.
Download copies of the taxi application forms.
Once we have issued you with your drivers badge it is a condition of your licence that you join the DBS Update Service. You have 19 days from when your DBS Certificate is issued to do this.
The proposal to remove 'Grandfather Rights' is still under review. This matter was put before the Policy & Resources Committee on Monday 11th June 2018. The committee agreed to carry out further consultation and extend the timescale for implementation to April 2020. Council meetings and how to have your say.
Taxi policies and procedures
- Taxi Licensing Policy Oct 2018
- Appendix A Criminal Records Policy
- Appendix B Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licence Conditions
- Appendix C Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Licence Conditions
- Appendix D Operators Licence Conditions
- Appendix E Penalty Points Scheme
- Appendix F Discreet Plate Policy
- Appendix G Drivers Application Processes
- Appendix H Vehicle Application Processes
- Appendix I Operators Application Processes
- Appendix J Policy for use of national taxi database
- Daily Vehicle Check Form
- Private Hire & Hackney Carriage Accident Reporting Form
- Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) presentation for the taxi trade
- Join the DBS Update Service
- CSE Booklet Taxis - July 2017