The 2004 Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act made provision for the preparation of Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) to provide greater detail on specific policies within individual Development Plan Documents (DPDs)/ the Local Plan. The process for preparing statutory SPDs is set out in Part 4 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 (Statutory Instrument 2012 No. 767), as amended.
Current Consultation - Cotterstock Village Design Statement SPD
We are now consulting on a draft Village Design Statement for Cotterstock. This was approved for consultation by the Planning Policy Committee on 8th June 2020 (Item 9).
The consultation will take place over 6-weeks, from Friday 26th June to Monday 10th August 2020, inclusive. Further details are available through this link.
We have just consulted on a draft Householder Extensions SPD
What is the Draft Householder Extensions - Supplementary Planning Document?
The Householder Extensions Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) sets out guiding design principles in relation to existing dwellings, and was approved by the Planning Policy Committee on 8 June 2020 (Item 8). It replaces the Residential Extensions SPG (October 1998).
Since the SPG document was adopted, various new national and local planning documents have come into force and others have been superseded. The most recent new documents include:
- National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) February 2019,
- North Northamptonshire Joint Core Strategy (2016),
- Various Neighbourhood Plans for individual towns or villages
The Design Guide has been expanded and updated to take account of these more recent documents.
The SPD contains 6 sections covering the following:
- Design in relation to the existing dwelling;
- How an extension fits in with the character of its surroundings;
- Impact on the amenity of adjacent properties;
- Implications for off road parking provision at the property;
- Whether sufficient outside amenity space will remain within the curtilage of the property when the works are in place; and
- If there are any important trees which are affected by the works.
Overall, the SPD document is considered to take account of the relevant new documents that have come into force since the SPG was adopted and it also gives guidance on extra topics, which are common considerations in relation to planning applications
The SPD document is available to view here
This version provides the adopted text, which is awaiting the addition of some photographs and updated diagrams, to illustrate best practice.
Current status of the document
Having assessed all the views received from the Public Consultation, the Council have updated the document and this version was presented to the Planning Policy Committee on Monday 8 June, 2020 and now has the status of an adopted Supplementary Planning Document, for use in the determination of Planning Applications and in giving general planning advice.
An adoption statement for the SPD can be viewed here.
Householder Extensions SPD - The Householder Extensions Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) sets out guiding design principles in relation to existing dwellings, and was approved by the Planning Policy Committee on 8 June 2020 (Item 8). It replaces the Residential Extensions SPG (October 1998).
Upper Nene Valley Gravel Pits Special Protection Area SPD (Including Mitigation Strategy) - (Adopted November 2016)
Pilton, Stoke Doyle and Wadenhoe Village Design Statement SPD - (Adopted February 2016)
Biodiversity SPD for Northamptonshire - (Adopted February 2016)
Trees and Landscape SPD - (Adopted June 2013)
Domestic Waste SPD - (Adopted July 2012)
Open Space SPD - (Adopted November 2011)
Shop Front Design SPD - (Adopted January 2011)
North Northamptonshire Sustainable Design SPD - (Adopted March 2009)
Northamptonshire Place and Movement Guide - (Adopted 2008)
Developer Contributions SPD - (Adopted June 2006)
Householder Extensions SPD - (Adopted June 2020)
- Overview (you are here)
- North Northamptonshire Sustainable Design SPD
- Northamptonshire Place and Movement Guide
- Developer Contributions SPD
- Supplementary Planning Guidance, Development Briefs and Village Design Statements
- Supplementary Planning Guidance
- Development Briefs
- Village Design Statements
- Neighbourhood Plans
- Shop Front Design SPD
- Biodiversity SPD for Northamptonshire
- Domestic Waste Storage and Collection SPD
- Trees and Landscape SPD
- Open Space SPD
- Wind and Solar Energy SPD
- Pilton, Stoke Doyle and Wadenhoe Village Design Statement SPD
- Special Protection Area SPD
- Tree Management - Guidance and Principles