Houses in Multiple Occupation

Is my house a House in Multiple Occupation?

If you share a house or flat which is let to 3 or more unrelated tenants which has shared facilities such as a kitchen, communal lounge or a bathroom, the property is likely to be an HMO. All HMOs require inspection but only those of three storeys or more, with five or more persons require a licence.

If you own, manage or live in such a property please contact East Northamptonshire Council's Private Sector Housing team to see if a licence is required. Section 72 of the Act makes it a criminal offence for managing a HMO without a licence, anyone found guilty of this is liable to a fine of up to £20,000 and a Rent Repayment Order may be placed upon them, this in effect demands the repayment of any rent received by the landlord from the time they were notified that a licence was required.

For further information please view our leaflet Amenities and Space - A Landlord's Guide.

More information

  1. Houses in Multiple Occupation (you are here)
  2. Houses in Multiple Occupation - Licence
rating button