Nene Valley Festival 2018

Due to forecasted high winds and risk to public health, the finale of the Nene Valley Festival 2018 in Peterborough on Sunday has been cancelled. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Housing Benefit

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is a means tested benefit, administered by local councils, to help people who live in rented accommodation. It will pay all or a part of your rent, depending on your circumstances.

Housing Benefit basically covers the cost of your 'bricks and mortar' - this means the building you are living in and includes the use of your room, kitchen, bathroom and a communal area (if appropriate).

It doesn't include the costs of

  • Meals
  • Council tax
  • Water charges
  • Heating and lighting
  • Laundry
  • Cleaning your room
  • Gardening
  • Garages or car parking space
  • Personal care and support

These are known as ineligible service charges

If you live in this district your Housing Benefit will be paid by East Northamptonshire Council.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are:

  • Paying rent to a private landlord
  • A housing association tenant
  • Living in a hostel
  • Paying for board and lodgings

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are already claiming other benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support. You may also claim it if you are working but on low income.

For further information please see our leaflets A Guide for Working Age People and A Guide for Pensioners

If you are a homeowner but need help with your mortgage interest payments please contact the Department for Work and Pensions for further information.