Rushden Neighbourhood Plan
Neighbourhood Plan 'Made'
The Rushden Neighbourhood Plan (covering the period 2011-2031) was formally adopted (‘made’) by the Planning Policy Committee on 4 June 2018. It now forms a part of the development plan for the area (Parish of Rushden) and from hereon will be used to assist in the determination of planning applications.
'Making' of the Raunds Neighbourhood Plan is confirmed by notice, under Regulations 19-20 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, as amended:
- Statutory notice, confirming 'making' of the Rushden Neighbourhood Plan
- 'Made' version of Rushden Neighbourhood Plan
A referendum relating to the Rushden Neighbourhood Plan was held on Thursday, 24 May 2018.
The question asked was:
"Do you want East Northamptonshire Council to use the Neighbourhood Development Plan for Rushden to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?"
The Rushden Neighbourhood Plan recieved a majority 'Yes' vote in favour of the question. The official declaration of results can be viewed below:
The Council published the following documents to support the referendum:
- Information Statement
- General Statement about the Planning System and Neighbourhood Development Plans
The specified documents referred to are available below:
- Rushden Neighbourhood Plan Referendum Version (April 2018)
- Referendum Version Polices Map
- Rushden Neighbourhood Plan 2011 - 2031 - Examiner's report
- Representations submitted to the Independent Examiner (Regulation 16)
- Summary of Representations submitted to the Independent Examiner [report presented to Planning Policy Committee, 19 February 2018 – Agenda Item 7]
- Basic Conditions and Compliance Statement
The Town Council (Qualifying Body) has similarly published relevant documents, to support the published Referendum Version Plan. These may be viewed through the Town Council’s own Neighbourhood Plan web page.
Neighbourhood Plan Examination
On 15 January 2018, John Slater was appointed to undertake the independent Examination for the Rushden Neighbourhood Plan. The Examination finished on 4 April 2018, with publication of the Examiner's Report.
Rushden Town Council’s Policy and Resources Committee recommended approval of the Referendum Version Neighbourhood Plan (incorporating the Examiner’s Modifications) on 17 April 2018, to go forward to referendum on 24 May 2018.
During the Examination, the Examiner raised a number of questions regarding specific policies/ proposals in the submitted Neighbourhood Plan. These were considered by East Northamptonshire Council and Rushden Town Council and the responses were collated into a response to each of the Examiner's questions:
- Examiner's questions, incorporating answers from Rushden Town Council and East Northamptonshire Council, 6 March 2018
17 representations were received during the “Regulation 16” consultation (3 November – 18 December 2017, inclusive; further details below), which preceded the Neighbourhood Plan Examination. These may be viewed through the following link:
Submission of Rushden Neighbourhood Plan
On 26 October 2017, Rushden Town Council wrote to East Northamptonshire Council, to formally submit the Rushden Neighbourhood Development Plan and supporting documents in accordance with Regulation 15 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, as amended. The submission documents, or ‘plan proposal’, consist of:
- A map identifying the area to which the proposed neighbourhood development plan relates [bound within the submission version Rushden Neighbourhood Plan];
- Submission Version Policies Map;
- The Consultation Statement;
- The proposed neighbourhood development plan [Rushden Neighbourhood Plan Submission Version (October 2017)];
- A statement (“Basic Conditions Statement”) explaining how the proposed neighbourhood development plan meets the requirements of paragraph 8 of Schedule 4B to the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
To comply with these and other statutory requirements, Rushden Town Council submitted the following documents:
- Rushden Neighbourhood Plan, Submission Version, October 2017 (submission documents (a) and (c)), covering the period 2011-2031
- Policies Map, Submission Version
- Site Assessment Report
- Consultation Statement (submission document (b)), incorporating Equalities Impact Assessment, Habitat Regulations Assessment and Strategic Environmental Assessment screening opinions
- Basic Conditions Statement (submission document (d))
On 27 October, we wrote to the Town Council, to confirm that the plan proposal complies with all of the relevant statutory requirements.
The “Regulation 16” consultation
Submission of the Neighbourhood Plan under Regulation 15 represents the stage where Rushden Town Council and the appointed Neighbourhood Planning Group effectively “hands over the baton” for the neighbourhood development plan to the local planning authority.
East Northamptonshire Council then ran a six week consultation under Regulation 16 (3 November - 18 December 2017), with reference to the “Basic Conditions” that the Neighbourhood Plan needs to meet. These require that the plan:
- Has regard to national policy and guidance from the Secretary of State;
- Contributes to sustainable development;
- Is in general conformity with the strategic policy of the development plan for the area or any part of that area;
- Doesn’t breach or is otherwise compatible with EU obligations – this includes the SEA Directive of 2001/42/EC; and that
- The making of the Neighbourhood Plan is not likely to have a significant effect on a European site (as defined in the Conservation of Habitats and Species regulations 2010(d)), either alone or in combination with other plans or projects.
The relevant consultation documents are as follows:
- Statutory Regulation 16 Notice
- Rushden Neighbourhood Plan response form (pdf version)
- Rushden Neighbourhood Plan response form (Word version)
Regulation 14 Consultation (17 March – 2 May 2017)
On 17 March 2017, Rushden Town Council published the first draft version of the Rushden Neighbourhood Plan for consultation. The Regulation 14 consultation took place between 17 March and 2 May 2017 inclusive.
Designation of Neighbourhood Area
On 25 June 2013, East Northamptonshire Council received an application from Rushden Town Council for the designation of the whole of the Rushden Parish area as a Neighbourhood Plan area.
For general queries regarding neighbourhood planning please contact the planning policy team on 01832 742010
- Neighbourhood Planning in East Northamptonshire
- Key Stages to Neighbourhood Planning
- Barnwell Neighbourhood Plan
- Chelveston cum Caldecott Neighbourhood Plan
- Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan
- Oundle Neighbourhood Plan
- Raunds Neighbourhood Plan
- Rushden Neighbourhood Plan (you are here)
- Irthlingborough Neighbourhood Plan
- Stanwick Neighbourhood Plan
- Barrowden and Wakerley Joint Neighbourhood Plan
- Brigstock Neighbourhood Plan
- Deene and Deenethorpe Neighbourhood Plan
- King's Cliffe Neighbourhood Plan
- Regulation 16 Consultations
- Collyweston Neighbourhood Plan
- Glapthorn Neighbourhood Plan
- Duddington with Fineshade Neighbourhood Plan
- Warmington Neighbourhood Plan
- Ringstead Neighbourhood Plan