Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan
Latest Stage - Neighbourhood Plan 'Made'
The Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan was formally adopted ('made') on the 11th April 2016 at Full Council after the plan was agreed at Planning Policy Committee (agenda item 5). It now forms a part of the development plan for the area and will be used to assist in the determination of planning applications.
Previous stages - Referendum
A referendum relating to the Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan was held on Thursday 18th February 2016.
The question asked was;
"Do you want East Northamptonshire Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Higham Ferrers to help it decide planning applications in the Neighbourhood Plan Area?"
The Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan received a majority 'Yes' vote in favour of this question. The official declaration of results can be viewed below, followed by the referendum documents;
The Council has published a Neighbourhood Plan Information Statement to support the Referendum.
The specified documents referred to are available below:
Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan - Report of Examination (report of the independent examiner)
Submission of the Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan 2011/2031
On 11 June 2015 Higham Ferrers Town Council wrote to East Northamptonshire Council, to formally submit the Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan 2011/2031 and supporting documents in accordance with Regulation 15 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, as amended. The submission documents, or ‘plan proposal’, consist of:
A map identifying the area to which the proposed neighbourhood development plan relates [bound within the Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan 2011/2031 Submission Version, June 2015];
The Consultation Statement;
The proposed neighbourhood development plan [Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan 2011/2031 Submission Version, June 2015];
A statement (the “Basic Conditions Statement”) explaining how the proposed neighbourhood development plan meets the requirements of paragraph 8 of Schedule 4B to the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
All of these submission documents, together with other supporting documents, are available through the Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan Submission Documents web page. On 15 June we wrote to Higham Ferrers Town Council, to confirm that the plan proposal complies with all of the relevant statutory requirements.
The “Regulation 16” consultation
Submission of the Neighbourhood Plan under Regulation 15 effectively represents the stage where Higham Ferrers Town Council/ Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group effectively “hands over the baton” for the neighbourhood development plan to the local planning authority.
On behalf of the Town Council, East Northamptonshire Council ran a statutory six week consultation under Regulation 16 from Friday, 3 July to Monday, 17 August 2015 inclusive, with reference to the “Basic Conditions” that the Neighbourhood Plan needs to meet. These require that the plan:
- Has regard to national policy and guidance from the Secretary of State;
- Contributes to sustainable development;
- Is in general conformity with the strategic policy of the development plan for the area or any part of that area;
- Doesn’t breach or is otherwise compatible with EU obligations – this includes the SEA Directive of 2001/42/EC; and that
- The making of the Neighbourhood Plan is not likely to have a significant effect on a European site (as defined in the Conservation of Habitats and Species regulations 2010(d)), either alone or in combination with other plans or projects.
The relevant consultation documents are available as follows:
The consultation closed on 17 August 2015; representations received are available to view at the following page:
On 18 December 2012, East Northamptonshire Council received an application from Higham Ferrers Town Council for the designation of the whole of the Higham Ferrers Parish area as a Neighbourhood Plan area.
Designation of the Neighbourhood Area for Higham Ferrers was initially approved on 17 June 2013. The Neighbourhood Area was subsequently revised, to take account of changes to the parish boundary which came into effect on 15 October 2014 under the recent Parish Review. The revised Neighbourhood Area was approved by East Northamptonshire Council on 10 December 2014.
For general queries regarding neighbourhood planning please contact the planning policy team on 01832 742010
- Neighbourhood Planning in East Northamptonshire
- Key Stages to Neighbourhood Planning
- Barnwell Neighbourhood Plan
- Chelveston cum Caldecott Neighbourhood Plan
- Higham Ferrers Neighbourhood Plan (you are here)
- Oundle Neighbourhood Plan
- Raunds Neighbourhood Plan
- Rushden Neighbourhood Plan
- Irthlingborough Neighbourhood Plan
- Stanwick Neighbourhood Plan
- Barrowden and Wakerley Joint Neighbourhood Plan
- Brigstock Neighbourhood Plan
- Deene and Deenethorpe Neighbourhood Plan
- King's Cliffe Neighbourhood Plan
- Regulation 16 Consultations
- Collyweston Neighbourhood Plan
- Glapthorn Neighbourhood Plan
- Duddington with Fineshade Neighbourhood Plan
- Warmington Neighbourhood Plan
- Ringstead Neighbourhood Plan