Collecting your recycling
The green lidded recycling bins are emptied fortnightly on alternating weeks to the refuse bin. Your items for recycling should be loose in this bin.
Do not put your recycling in carrier bags or black sacks inside your bin. Your bin will not be emptied.
We collect a wide range of materials for recycling in this bin with no need to sort them yourself at home.
We would like you to recycle as much as possible and if you find the bin isn't big enough, some weeks for all your recycling. Extra material can be left next to the bin in either clear/transparent sacks or a cardboard box. Please note bags must only be used to place recyclables beside the bin, not inside it, as the material in the bin must be loose. You can collect some clear sacks from our customer service centres.
What goes in the recycling bin?
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogues, junk mail and directories
- Plastic packaging (food trays, fruit and veg punnets, ice cream tubs, yogurt pots and margarine tubs )
- Card/cardboard (including greetings cards)
- Cans and tins (food, drink and pet food)
- Plastic bottles (please remove lids, or better still, squash the bottle and put lid back on)
- Aerosol cans (please ensure they are empty)
- Glass jars and bottles
- Foil (clean please)
What doesn't go in the recycling bin?
No thanks, we cannot recycle these:
- Expanded polystyrene
- Plastic bags, wrappers and film
- Black plastic food/ fruit and veg trays
- Food waste
- Shredded paper
- Food and drink cartons (sometimes known as Tetra Paks)
- Tissues and kitchen roll
- Clothes. Unfortunately we are not able to recycle clothes and shoes in the green lidded bin. Please use a textiles bank or charity collection for these
- Plant pots/trays
- Other glass items such as drinking glasses, windows, vases, cookware (Pyrex/Visionware)
- Batteries (by law any shop that sells batteries has to take back old household batteries for recycling)
- Electrical items such as toasters, hairdryers, DVD players etc. Please use our separate weekly collection for recycling smaller electrical items
- Garden waste - this cannot go in either the green or grey lidded bin. We can recycle this through our Garden Waste Service or you can take it to one of the County Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres.
Note: Wrapping paper, Christmas decorations and cards etc that contain mixed materials cannot be recycled. If they are made just of paper or card then they can be recycled.
Print our handy guide for residents for what can/can't go in your recycling bin.
What happens to your recycling?
For a video of the sorting facility that takes our mixed recyclling please see the how is your recycling sorted page.
If you live in a household where there is no-one physically able to take your refuse or recycling to the curtilage of your property for collection, you can register for an assisted collection. This means that your refuse, recycling and food waste do not have to be taken to the boundary of your property with the public highway. Instead they can be placed at an agreed location such as by the front door or to the side of your house.
East Northamptonshire Council may carry out checks to make sure claims made are valid. From time to time we will carry out an audit on our database to ensure it is accurate.