Councillors set to gather for unitary seminars

Published Thursday, 22 November 2018

Councillors from across Northamptonshire will gather next week for the first of two seminars helping them to understand more about the process for creating two new unitary councils.

All elected members from the county’s eight local authorities have been invited to attend the sessions on 29 November and 3 December at Franklin’s Gardens in Northampton.

Hosted by the Local Government Association (LGA) and featuring guest speakers from other councils that have been through a similar re-organisation, the first seminar will give members a valuable insight into the process to create the unitary councils. The second session the following week will focus on how unitary authorities operate and the opportunities that can arise from unitary councils.

Members are invited to attend from Corby Borough Council, Daventry District Council, East Northamptonshire Council, Kettering Borough Council, Northampton Borough Council, Northamptonshire County Council, South Northamptonshire Council and the Borough Council of Wellingborough.

The councils are currently awaiting a decision from the Secretary of State on whether they will be replaced with two new unitary authorities from May 2020. The Government is expected to launch its own consultation into the proposal soon before making a decision.

In the meantime, councils in Northamptonshire are moving forward with preparations for the proposed new unitary councils to ensure they are ready to meet potentially tight parliamentary timescales.

The two seminars aim to increase councillors’ knowledge and understanding of unitary authorities ahead of further workshops being arranged for the new year, which will explore ideas for how the new councils could be shaped and designed. All formal decisions relating to the process in Northamptonshire will continue to be made by each of the councils through their usual committee systems.

For more information and updates about Local Government Reform in Northamptonshire, visit your local council website.