The proposed local government reform submission papers will be available on Northamptonshire councils’ websites from 3pm on Friday, 17 August 2018.
A response to the Secretary of State’s invitation to “submit proposals on restructuring local government” has been drafted by all eight authorities in Northamptonshire. Ahead of meetings taking place across the county week commencing 27 August, a proposed submission, consultation results and the PricewaterhouseCoopers report will be available online this Friday.
In East Northamptonshire, councillors will meet on the 29 August 2018. Details of the meeting will be available to read on our website (www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/LGR) from 3pm on Friday, 17 August 2018.
All eight authorities in Northamptonshire have been asked by the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government to submit a proposal that meets the following criteria:
- A single county-wide unitary is explicitly excluded as an option
- Each new proposed authority must have a population substantially in excess of 300,000
- The proposal must be based on existing council boundaries
In addition to the criteria set out by the Secretary of State, Government has stated:
- Only one proposal will be accepted, not a range of options
- It must demonstrate clear potential for savings
- It must command a good deal of local support
- Due consideration should be given to recommendations in the Best Value Report
- Any solution should prioritise the Government’s wider housing and growth agenda
- Extensive consultation must be carried out