Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Councillors ready to lend a helping hand

Published Monday, 09 May 2016

East Northamptonshire Council’s grant scheme, known as the Member Empowerment Fund, is open for new applications.

Each district councillor is allocated £1,000 per year for small community-based projects. Money can be awarded to parish/town councils, community groups, voluntary organisations and charities working in East Northamptonshire.

The following types of projects can be funded:

  • Community events/fayres/carnivals
  • Community or Neighbourhood Planning activities
  • Sports equipment, coaching activities or activity that promotes participation in physical activity and healthy lifestyles
  • Environmental improvements
  • Community facility improvements
  • Support for new community groups like first aid or committee skills training
  • Equipment for use by the local community
  • Young people projects including equipment for youth groups
  • Schemes or projects which actively promote safer communities e.g. safer parking schemes and speed reduction measures

Since the scheme began in June 2011, communities have benefitted from over £150,000 of grant funding to support their community-based projects. Such projects have included:

  • Relocation and refurbishment of village phone kiosk to be used as a defibrillator station in Glapthorn
  • Purchase and installation of vehicle activated signs to improve safety in Denford
  • Sporting equipment for adult and youth football teams in Stanwick
  • Community notice board for Islip and Apethorpe
  • ‘Musical Moments’ workshop for dementia sufferers in Rushden

Leader of East Northamptonshire Council, Steven North, said: “This is a great small fund that allows our councillors to support capital projects in their area, either as an individual or working with other members to support larger projects. If you need a bit of financial help to make your project a reality, have a chat with your local councillor.”

Visit the Member Empowerment Fund page to find out more or speak to your district councillor.