A new scheme to reward residents for recycling their food waste launched in Corby town centre on Saturday.
The I'm In To Win scheme gives people the chance to win prizes ranging from free leisure centre passes to experiences and days out as well as vouchers for local shops and restaurants, simply by registering their details and putting out their food waste caddies for collection each week.
Organised by the Northamptonshire Waste Partnership with the support of Northamptonshire County Council’s Waste and Energy Education Team, the scheme will run in four areas of Northamptonshire.
Every month there will be a winning resident from each of the council areas taking part: East Northamptonshire Council, Corby Borough Council, Daventry District Council and South Northamptonshire Council.
All people need to do to join in is register their details online and then make sure they put out their food waste caddy for collection as normal each week.
I’m In to Win is fully funded by a Government grant and runs over the next three years, during which time everyone who registers and regularly presents their food waste caddy for collection has a chance of winning a prize.
Councillor Chris Millar, Chairman of the Northamptonshire Waste Partnership, said: "Householders in Northamptonshire already recycle around 9000 tonnes of food waste every year. While this is a great effort, we want to capture more of your food waste – making your local collection more efficient and turning waste food into renewable energy.
"I’m In to Win has lots of exciting prizes to choose from and winners can pick whichever prize suits them the best. So, if you haven’t started to recycle your food – now is a great time to start!"
How to take part:
- Register online
- Once you have registered your details you will be sent a registration pack – including an 'I’m In' sticker for your food waste caddy and a leaflet reminding you of all the food waste you can put in it.
- The first 1000 households to register will also receive a free tea towel in their registration pack.
- The lucky winners from each area will be notified by email, inviting them to choose a prize that suits them best. Winners’ names will also be published in the NWP’s monthly newsletter and online.
Residents can also find out more about the scheme during a series of awareness events at the following times and locations:
- South Northants – Thursday 19 November, 11am to 3pm - Aldi Supermarket, Towcester.
- Daventry – Friday 20 November, 11am to 3pm – Daventry Town Centre, near to Tesco and the bus station.
The Northamptonshire Waste Partnership is a partnership of Northamptonshire councils and was set up to improve joint working arrangements on waste management matters. Another key objective is to improve the effective delivery of waste services across the county and reduce waste going to landfill.