East Northamptonshire Council (ENC) is once again pledging to help more communities across the district with £40,000 of funding for local projects.
Every year, each ENC district councillor is allocated £1,000 each to spend on small community-based projects. The money can be awarded to parish/town councils, community groups, voluntary organisations and charities who work in East Northamptonshire.
The funding stream, known as the Member Empowerment Fund (MEF), supports community events, sports activities, environmental enhancements, local facility improvements, equipment for youth groups and projects that promote safer communities.
Since MEF started in June 2011, communities have benefitted from over £288,000 of grant funding and recent examples include:
- The creation of two wildlife grass verges in the village of Titchmarsh
- Purchase of a community defibrillator for the residents and visitors of Top Lodge in Fineshade
- The purchase and installation of a finger post sign to waymark a new path in Higham Ferrers
- Refurbishment of the town sign at the entrance of Irthlingborough along the A6
- The installation of a defibrillator in Lowick and Slipton
- Purchase of a generator to run entertainment at future Raunds Carnival community events
- Replacement of the artificial playing pitch surface and practice facility netting for the cricket club in Rushden
- Purchase of team kit, display cabinet and notice board for the young swimmers in Thrapston
Leader of East Northamptonshire Council, Cllr Steven North, said:
“Now, more than ever, it is important that we help community projects in any way we can and this is a great small fund that really does make a big difference to projects across the district.
“If you need a little financial push to help make your project happen and make a positive change to your area, we encourage you to have a chat with your local councillor.”
This will be the last year of MEF, with the new North Northamptonshire Council coming into existence in April 2021.
To find out more about the scheme and/or to apply for funding please visit www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/mef or speak to your councillor, contact details can be found at www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/councillors