Residents are reminded of some golden rules when planning a trip or night out this festive season.
If you are arranging an evening out this Christmas, make sure that you plan well in advance how you are getting home by using licensed taxis.
All taxis that are registered with the local council must display a licence plate (usually on the rear of the vehicle) which has a number, along with a smaller licence in the front windscreen. Always check this before getting in a taxi to make sure that your driver has followed the correct and legal processes.
Steven North, Leader of East Northamptonshire Council, said: “Over the next few weeks many of us will be planning day trips and evenings out and may require a taxi home.
“Wherever possible, pre-book a taxi and ask the driver for the name of the booking before you get in. And always keep the number of a reliable firm with you so you don’t get caught out.”
Here are a few golden rules when using taxis this Christmas:
- Plan how you’re going to get home from your night out – arrange a lift or book a taxi in your name. And leave the taxi booking details with a friend
- Always keep the number of a reliable firm with you
- Avoid taxis that tout for business and are unlicensed
- When the taxi arrives, check it is the one you booked by asking for the name in which it was booked. If in doubt, don’t get in
- Always sit behind the driver in the back seat
- If you feel uneasy, ask to be let out
- Stick with your friends and choose a meeting point for if you get separated
- Never accept a lift from a stranger.