All requests for Street Naming or Numbering can be made using our online form.
East Northamptonshire Council is responsible all Street Naming and Property Numbering within the District of East Northamptonshire.
This statutory duty is carried out under the provisions of the Public Health Act 1925, Sections 17-19, the Town Improvement Clauses Act 1847 and the Public Health Amended Act 1907.
The prime objective in naming streets is to facilitate easy identification of premises by, the emergency services, postal / delivery services and general visitors to the area, amongst others.
All addresses form part of the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) which covers the whole of England and Wales. The NLPG uses the British Standard BS7666 (Parts 1 and 2) to ensure date format consistency across the country. Each record has a unique property reference number (UPRN) which provides a reference key to join related address records across different datasets.
Please note: All confirmation and notification of approved Street Naming and Numbering is sent out via e-mail.
- Policy and Procedures for Street Naming and Numbering (you are here)
- Street Naming - Proposal and consultation for the naming of streets
- Street Naming - A step by step guide
- Street Naming - Good practice when selecting a name
- Street Naming - Good practice when selecting a street suffix
- Street Naming - Service charges
- Street Naming - Provision of street nameplates(s)
- Street Naming - Specification for street nameplates
- Street Naming - Erection of street nameplates
- Street Naming - Legislation
- Street Numbering - Unregistered address
- Street Numbering - Developing a single property / small development
- Street Numbering - Developing a large estate
- Street Numbering - Changing a property name
- Street Numbering - Adding a name to your property
- Street Numbering - Postcodes
- Street Numbering - Legislation