We collect, hold and use data about people and organisations we work with to help us deliver services and support you.. This may include members of the public, current, past and prospective employees, clients, customers, contractors, partners and suppliers. We may also be required to collect and use personal data to comply with our statutory obligations.
The Data Protection Act defines our duty in collecting and managing this data.
It may be that you wish to submit a request for personal data that we hold. Your request itself may contain personal information. The Data Protection Act says we need to do this securely.
Subject Access Requests
If you want to have a copy of the information we hold about you, this is called a ‘Subject Access Request (SAR)’. To submit your request:
- Email email@example.com with your request.
- Include as much information as possible to help us find all of the information you need quickly:
- Try to be specific; is it information about complaints, your benefits records, or other services you want to see? If you ask for all information, this could include calls you have made to us about missed bins, for example, and, while we are happy to provide this, it may not be what you need.
- Provide a date range (is the information you want from the last year, five years or between specific points in time?)
You can also submit your request in writing if you prefer to:
The Information Governance Manager
East Northamptonshire Council
Please mark your letter as ‘Private and Confidential’ and include all the information requested above.
Under the Data Protection Act, a Subject Access Request will only allow us to provide information held about you (the requester) and not about any third party unless you are acting on their behalf and have their express permission to receive this information (you will need to provide us with proof of this before we will carry out the search).
Section 29, 30 and 35 Requests
If you wish to use one of the above Data Protection Act exemptions to request information from East Northamptonshire Council, you will need to:
- Complete an official request using our data sharing request form
- Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide a secure email address for the provision of the response.