Street Trading in the District

If you have a mobile food business and trade in East Northamptonshire, or are thinking of setting one up, you need to be aware of the current rules and restrictions to trading:

  • You must be registered as a food business with the Health Protection Team East Northamptonshire Council (ENC) or at your local council’s Environmental Health Department if you keep the vehicle out of the district
  • You will be subject to routine inspection and receive a Food Hygiene Rating
  • You must comply with food safety and health & safety legislation
  • Trading is not allowed along any A Roads in the district including in laybys
  • The only exceptions are 4 licenced laybys which are all currently occupied and where a yearly charge is payable.  There is a waiting list for each of these locations; if you wish to be added to a waiting list you can contact us below
  • If you are found to be illegally trading along any A Roads in the district you will be moved on and may be subject to prosecution

Trading is currently allowed on any other roads in the district as long as you ensure:

  • The Highway Code and other road safety legislation is followed
  • Northamptonshire County Council Highways have no objection to you trading in the location
  • No-one else is obstructed
  • You do not cause a nuisance to local residents from odour, noise, accumulation of refuse, etc.
  • You do not trade between 11pm and 6am
  • You do not trade in the locality if an organised market is taking place 
  • You must remove all waste from site including waste water when you leave the location
  • If you trade or intend to trade on private land you must have the permission of the landowner
  • To trade at local town markets in the district such as the regular Oundle, Thrapston, Raunds and Higham Ferrers markets you must contact the organisers and have their permission.  This also applies to festivals and other events.

Please note that neighbouring authorities operate different street trading arrangements. If you intend to trade cross-border or solely in another authority’s area you must speak with the local authority first and comply with their requirements.