East Northamptonshire Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. This Privacy Notice explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy.
This Privacy notice relates to client records relating to Building Control applications or enquiries.
Building Control Joint Working – Information Sharing and Privacy Statement
East Northamptonshire Council and the Borough Council of Wellingborough have commenced a joint working arrangement for providing Building Control services. The information we collect will be available to use across both areas to enable an effective service to be delivered.
Your personal information – what we need and why
East Northamptonshire Council and the Borough Council of Wellingborough (the data controller for the personal information you provide) collects personal information to deal with your application or enquiry and to allow us to provide the service you have asked for. This includes your name, address, email address, telephone number and any other relevant information you provide.
It is necessary to hold this information to allow us to deliver the Building Control service you request, and to provide any other necessary services to you.
We will not collect any personal data from you that we do not need.
What allows us to process your data?
We process your personal information in line with our legal obligations under the following legislation:
- Building Act 1984
- Building Regulations 2010
- The Building (Approved Inspectors etc.) Regulations 2010
For any processes which fall outside of our statutory duty, for example Copy Requests, we rely on your consent to process your personal data. Where we process special categories data (formerly referred to as sensitive personal data) the council relies upon substantial public interest (Article 9(2)(g)) and Data protection Act 2018 sch 1 part 2 6 statutory and government purposes.
How we keep your personal information safe
East Northamptonshire Council (ENC) and the Borough Council of Wellingborough (BCW) take your data security seriously. The information you provide will be held securely in the building control software system, and data management system of the applicable local authority and access is only permitted to relevant staff.
Will my information be shared?
ENC and BCW may need to send design details and structural calculations to their appointed consultant structural engineers for checking compliance for structural stability and compliance with Part A of the Building Regulations.
ENC and BCW have a joint Building Control service which requires information to be shared between the two local authorities to help provide a service to you. Any information shared between ENC and BCW is provided securely and held in accordance with ENC and BCW privacy policies. ENC and BCW will not share your data with any third parties unless they are required or permitted to do so by law; examples being:
- Statutory consultation with the fire and rescue service, highways and the water authority.
- Consultation with other local authority departments to ensure statutory compliance with relevant legislation such as: Environmental Health and Planning.
How long do we keep your data?
The following provisions require building control bodies to retain records relating to each building project for at least 15 years:
- The Building Act 1984: Section 91A - Registers to be kept by local authorities, and
- The Building Control Performance Standards 2017 Edition - Appendix 4 - Communications and records.
To comply with these requirements ENC and BCW building control service will keep your building control records including personal information (name, address, contact details) for at least 15 years after the work has been issued with an all works completion certificate, or project expiry period.
Your Data Rights and Our Privacy Statement
For further information about how ENC and BCW uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see full details on the ENC and BCW Council’s website.
- Service Specific Privacy Notices
- East Northamptonshire Local Plan & Neighbourhood Plans
- Council Tax and Housing Benefit
- Economic and Commercial Development Contact Database
- Houses in Multiple Occupation(HMO) Application
- National Taxi Database (NR3)
- Central Licensing Administration Unit
- Building Control (you are here)
- Employee Privacy notice
- Safety and Resilience
- Garden Waste
- External Funding
- Housing Allocation and Homelessness
- Business Rates
- Recruitment Privacy Notice
- Environmental Protection, Health Protection and Private Sector Housing Privacy Notice
- Filming and Photography
- Housing Needs
- Comms - Press Contacts Privacy Notice
- Destination Nene Valley
- Facebook Privacy Notice
- Twitter Privacy Notice
- Councillors Privacy Notice
- Finance Privacy Notice
- Monitoring Officer - Code of Conduct Complaints and Register of Interests
- The Data Protection Officer
- Land Charges Privacy Notice
- Disabled Facilities Grant
- ICT Services Wifi Service Privacy Notice
- ICT Services GIS Mapping Service Privacy Notice
- ICT Service Desk - Staff and Councillors
- Electoral Services Privacy Notice
- Customer Services Privacy Notice
- Customer Services - My Account
- Planning Services Privacy Notice
- Community Safety, Safeguarding and the Conducting of Domestic Homicide Reviews
- Covid 19 Privacy Notice
- Corporate Support Privacy Notice
- Chief Executive's Office Privacy Notice
- Customer Appointments
- Transfer of personal data to North and West Northamptonshire Unitary Councils
- Northants Warm Homes Partnership
- Test and Trace Support Payments
- Tourism Competition Notice