Electoral Services Privacy Notice
East Northamptonshire Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. This Privacy Notice explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy.
This Privacy notice relates to the collection and processing of your information in order to maintain your entry in the electoral register.
The Electoral Registration Officer is registered with the ICO with the following registration number is ZA217531. Our entry in the Data Protection Public Register is available via this link Data Protection Register; enter our registration number into the relevant field.
Your personal information - what we need and why
East Northamptonshire Council on behalf of the Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer (the data controllers) collect information about you and members of your household who are aged 16 plus, to assess if you are eligible to register to vote and which elections you are eligible to vote in. The information we collect may include:
- Date of birth
- National Insurance Number
- Email address
- Your previous or any redirected address
- Application forms and other correspondence
- Notes about any relevant circumstances that you have told us about
The Council has a legal obligation to provide electoral functions under Regulation 26 of the Representation of the People Regulations 2001, the Representation of the People Act 1983 and the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013. We have a duty to maintain a complete and accurate register throughout the year and will not collect or hold personal data from you that we do not or no longer need.
We may have to collect additional special category data (also referred to as sensitive personal data) to determine eligibility, including:
- evidence to support an anonymous registration (Representation of the People Amended Regulations 2018)
- reasons you require a postal/proxy vote or signature waiver on a postal vote (Sch 4, Representation of the People Act 2000)
- evidence of nationality including your passport, marriage certificate or driving licence (Reg. 23 and Reg. 26B, Representation of the People Regulations 2001)
- checking nationality or immigration status against government records
How we will use the information we hold
We will use the information you provide to check whether you are eligible to vote. We may also check your immigration status with the Home Office.
If you are entitled to register, your name and address will be added to the electoral register together with details of the elections you are able to vote in. The electoral register lists everyone who is entitled to vote.
The open register is an extract of the electoral register. Your name and address will be included on the open register unless you have expressly asked us for them to be excluded. Any person or organisation can buy a copy of the open register so you have the option whether or not you wish your details to be included in this version of the register. Removing your details from the open register will not affect your right to vote. You can opt out of the open register when registering to vote, during the annual canvass, or otherwise by contacting our elections team via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01832 742119.
Your contact information will only be used by us to communicate with you. It will not be included in either the electoral register or open register.
How we keep your information safe.
The information you provide will be held securely on our dedicated electoral management software and updated in accordance with our legal obligations. It is necessary to hold this data to enable the council to carry out its public functions.
Who do we share your data with?
It may be necessary to share your personal information both internally and externally under certain regulations or if you have not opted out of the open register.
We may also share your data with the following:
Using contractors and suppliers
We use contractors or partners to process your information; this includes the printing of necessary documentation i.e. poll cards or Household Enquiry forms used in the annual canvass. Where such arrangements are in place we ensure that they are clear on what they can use your data for (the services we work with them to provide or that they provide rather than us). Any further sharing needs to be authorised by us and will only be authorised if it is necessary. We ensure contactors and partners have appropriate systems in place to keep your data safe and secure while they are using it and that they know what to do with the data when they no longer need it.
It is necessary to outsource printing due to volume, complexity and time critical nature of the task and enable the council in carrying out public functions.
We do not share your personal information with any other third parties, unless the law expressly allows us to do so.
The individual electoral registration digital service
You can register to vote online via the Electoral Registration Digital Service which is managed by the Cabinet Office. To verify your identity, it may be necessary to share your name, date of birth and national insurance number with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). For more information please see their privacy notice.
How long do we keep your data?
The Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer need to process your personal data in order to prepare for and conduct elections. Your details will be kept and updated in accordance with our legal obligations and in line with statutory retention periods and the periods within our retention schedule.
You may be able to register anonymously if you are concerned about your name and address appearing on the open register. If you are included in the electoral register anonymously, no information about you will appear in the electoral register or open register and you will still be able to vote. To discuss if anonymous registration is an option for you please contact our Elections team via email email@example.com or telephone 01832 742119
If you have provided us with your contact details, we may contact you regarding electoral registration under the Equality Act 2010, s.69 of the Electoral Administration Act and s.9A(2) of the Representation of the People Act 1983. The provision of contact details and contact via these channels is not mandatory in being registered to vote. If you would like to opt out of this form of contact please contact the elections team to advise us of your preferences: via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01832 742119
Your Data Rights and Our Privacy Statement
If at any point you believe the personal data we hold about you is inaccurate, you should let us know. We may not always be able to change or remove that information, but we will correct factual inaccuracies.
- Service Specific Privacy Notices
- East Northamptonshire Local Plan & Neighbourhood Plans
- Council Tax and Housing Benefit
- Economic and Commercial Development Contact Database
- Houses in Multiple Occupation(HMO) Application
- National Taxi Database (NR3)
- Central Licensing Administration Unit
- Building Control
- Employee Privacy notice
- Safety and Resilience
- Garden Waste
- External Funding
- Housing Allocation and Homelessness
- Business Rates
- Recruitment Privacy Notice
- Environmental Protection, Health Protection and Private Sector Housing Privacy Notice
- Filming and Photography
- Housing Needs
- Comms - Press Contacts Privacy Notice
- Destination Nene Valley
- Facebook Privacy Notice
- Twitter Privacy Notice
- Councillors Privacy Notice
- Finance Privacy Notice
- Monitoring Officer - Code of Conduct Complaints and Register of Interests
- The Data Protection Officer
- Land Charges Privacy Notice
- Disabled Facilities Grant
- ICT Services Wifi Service Privacy Notice
- ICT Services GIS Mapping Service Privacy Notice
- ICT Service Desk - Staff and Councillors
- Electoral Services Privacy Notice (you are here)
- Customer Services Privacy Notice
- Customer Servives - My Account
- Planning Services Privacy Notice
- Community Safety, Safeguarding and the Conducting of Domestic Homicide Reviews
- Covid 19 Privacy Notice
- Corporate Support Privacy Notice
- Chief Executive's Office Privacy Notice
- Customer Appointments
- Transfer of personal data to North and West Northamptonshire Unitary Councils