East Northamptonshire Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.
This privacy notice explains what information the council and the contractors it employs need in order to deliver housing need assessment(s).
Your personal information – what we need and why.
East Northamptonshire Council (the data controller) collects your personal information to deliver our statutory functions.
We have a statutory duty under the Housing Act 1985 s.8 to periodically review the housing needs of our area in relation to housing conditions and the needs of the district. Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 s. 3 also further requires that when authorities carry out a review that they have regard to the special needs of chronically sick or disabled persons.
In order to provide this service, it is necessary for the council to collect, store and process personal data relating to housing applicants, tenants and persons who are at risk of or are homeless.
How is your information collected?
As part of the Housing Service, the council may collect information about you in a number of ways, including (but not limited to):
- Information you provided to us
- Information passed to us from an advice agency (with your consent or to protect your vital interests)
- Information provided through previous landlords, other local authorities, health services, social services, government departments or other agencies you refer us to
How we keep your information safe.
Safeguards are in place to ensure that this data is kept secure and the privacy of individuals is protected.
Purposes of processing your personal data
We need to process the personal information of housing applicants and their family members in order to assess their housing needs and eligibility for social housing. We also need to process the personal information of clients in order to help them access support to prevent or relieve homelessness, to provide emergency accommodation, or to make an application under homelessness legislation.
Categories of personal data and lawful basis
In order to provide this service, we may need to process some or all of the following categories of personal information:
- Contact details
- Tax or benefit details
- Criminal convictions
- Proof of identify (passport, driving licence, birth certificate etc.)
- Information about your housing circumstances and social situation.
Categories of sensitive personal data and lawful basis
In order to provide this service, we may need to process some or all of the following categories of sensitive personal information:
- Health information
- Equalities information
We are required by Central Government to record equalities information in order to complete their statistical returns.
Under data protection legislation, processing of this data is allowed because we have a statutory duty to provide this service in the public interest. The legislation to which we are operating when we request this data is the Housing Act 1996, Part VI & VII, as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002, the Localism Act 2011 And the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017. We may also process some information to protect your vital interest.
Who we share your personal data with
In order to provide evidence of housing need we may share applicant information with contracted research organisations for the purpose of, but not limited to, carrying out surveys and other research tools. Where we share your data with contractors or partners we ensure that they are clear on what they can use your data for.
We will only share information with other organisations where it is necessary either to comply with a legal obligation, or where permitted under Data Protection Legislation.
We may also share information with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), who collect data for statistical and research purposes.
How long do we keep your data?
We will keep your personal information for the legally stated retention period of 6 years. After this time it will be securely destroyed.
The Data Protection Officer and the Council’s Privacy Statement
- Service Specific Privacy Notices
- East Northamptonshire Local Plan & Neighbourhood Plans
- Council Tax and Housing Benefit
- Economic and Commercial Development Contact Database
- Houses in Multiple Occupation(HMO) Application
- National Taxi Database (NR3)
- Central Licensing Administration Unit
- Building Control
- Employee Privacy notice
- Safety and Resilience
- Garden Waste
- External Funding
- Housing Allocation and Homelessness
- Business Rates
- Recruitment Privacy Notice
- Environmental Protection, Health Protection and Private Sector Housing Privacy Notice
- Filming and Photography
- Housing Needs (you are here)
- Comms - Press Contacts Privacy Notice
- Destination Nene Valley
- Facebook Privacy Notice
- Twitter Privacy Notice
- Councillors Privacy Notice
- Finance Privacy Notice
- Monitoring Officer - Code of Conduct Complaints and Register of Interests
- The Data Protection Officer
- Land Charges Privacy Notice
- Disabled Facilities Grant