East Northamptonshire Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. This Privacy Notice explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy.
This Privacy notice relates to client records relating to claims for Business rates.
Your personal information – what we need and why
East Northamptonshire Council collects and holds personal information about you to administer and process the collection of Non Domestic Rates. This information will include your name, address, contact details and other required information.
We use this information to:
- Administer and collect Non Domestic Rates/Council Tax;
- assess your entitlement to benefits, discounts and reliefs;
- administer and collect outstanding funds owed to the Council;
- comply with legal obligations, for example the prevention or detection of fraud/crime; and
- the protection of public funds.
We may also use your information within the Council to:
- Keep the electoral register up to date
- license private rented properties
- collect debts owed to the Council; and
- for other council services where the law allows or requires it, or to improve the service you receive.
What allows us to process your data?
We process your personal information in line with our legal obligations under the following legislation:
- Local Government Finance Act 1988 and 2012
- Localism Act 2011
- Local Government Act 2003
- The Non-Domestic Rating (Collection and Enforcement) (Local Lists) Regulations 1989 as amended
- The Council Tax and Non-Domestic Rating (Demand Notices) (England) Regulations 2003 as amended
- Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2014
- The prevention / detection of crime, including false representation in accordance with the Fraud Act.
Who do we share your information with?
We will only share information with other organisations where it is necessary, either to comply with a legal obligation, or where permitted under Data Protection legislation. Where sharing is necessary for us to carry out the Business Rates function or if there is a public interest to do so such as the prevention and / or detection of crime. This could include the need to disclose sensitive or confidential information.
We may share your information with other organisations to prevent and detect crime/fraud including:
- Department for Works and Pensions;
- HM Revenues and Customs;
- National Audit Office;
- Cabinet Office;
- the Police;
- other local authorities; and
- debt management organisations/enforcement agents engaged by us and the courts in relation to outstanding money owed.
We work with the Cabinet Office to carry out data matching exercises. Data matching is comparing computer records held by one organisation with other computer records held by the same organisation or a different one. This is usually personal information. Computerised data matching allows us to identify claims and payments that may be fraudulent. A match means that there is an inconsistency between the sets of records that need investigating.
We routinely publish Non Domestic Rates Datasets on our website which are available to the general public. We do not publish personal information, as part of the Datasets.
How long do we keep your records?
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. All information will be held securely and will be securely destroyed when it is no longer required. For further information on how long we hold your personal information please see our retention schedule and policy (this is currently under construction - apologies for any incovinience caused).
Your Data Rights and Our Privacy Statement
- Service Specific Privacy Notices
- East Northamptonshire Local Plan & Neighbourhood Plans
- Council Tax and Housing Benefit
- Economic and Commercial Development Contact Database
- Houses in Multiple Occupation(HMO) Application
- National Taxi Database (NR3)
- Central Licensing Administration Unit
- Building Control
- Employee Privacy notice
- Safety and Resilience
- Garden Waste
- External Funding
- Housing Allocation and Homelessness
- Business Rates (you are here)
- Recruitment Privacy Notice
- Environmental Protection, Health Protection and Private Sector Housing Privacy Notice
- Filming and Photography
- Housing Needs
- Comms - Press Contacts Privacy Notice
- Destination Nene Valley
- Facebook Privacy Notice
- Twitter Privacy Notice
- Councillors Privacy Notice
- Finance Privacy Notice
- Monitoring Officer - Code of Conduct Complaints and Register of Interests
- The Data Protection Officer
- Land Charges Privacy Notice
- Disabled Facilities Grant