Housing Allocation and Homelessness
East Northamptonshire Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.
This privacy notice explains what information the council and its Housing Contractor Homes Direct need in order to deliver the housing allocation and Homelessness services.
In order to provide this service, it is necessary for the council to collect, store and process personal data relating to housing applicants, tenants and persons at risk or who are homeless.
Safeguards are in place to ensure that this data is kept secure and the privacy of individuals is protected.
Who is responsible for your information?
East Northamptonshire Council and Homes Direct are joint data controllers for the personal information collected.
How is your information collected?
As part of the Housing services, the council may collect information about you in a number of ways, including (but not limited to):
- Information you provided to us
- Information passed to us from an advice agency (with your consent or to protect your vital interests)
- Information provided through previous landlords, other local authorities, health services, social services, government departments or other agencies you refer us to
Purposes of processing your personal data
We need to process the personal information of housing applicants and their family members in order to assess their housing needs and eligibility for social housing. We also need to process the personal information of client in order to help them access support to prevent or relieve homelessness, to provide emergency accommodation, or to make an application under homelessness legislation.
Categories of personal data and lawful basis
In order to provide this service, we may need to process some or all of the following categories of personal information:
- Contact details
- Tax or benefit details
- Criminal convictions
- Proof of identify (passport, driving licence, birth certificate etc.)
- Information about your housing circumstances and social situation.
Categories of sensitive personal data and lawful basis
In order to provide this service, we may need to process some or all of the following categories of sensitive personal information:
- Health information
- Equalities information
We are required by Central Government to record equalities information in order to complete their statistical returns.
Under data protection legislation, processing of this data is allowed because we have a statutory duty to provide this service in the public interest. The legislation to which we are operating when we request this data is the Housing Act 1996, Part VI & VII, as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002, the Localism Act 2011 And the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017. We may also process some information to protect your vital interest.
Who we share your personal data with
We may share applicant information with other support agencies in order to best assess the needs of some applicants. We may also receive information from these parties about your application. These third parties may include other teams within the council as well as external organisations, Including:
- Social services
- Health services
- Environmental services (East Northamptonshire Council)
- Community Partnership (East Northamptonshire Council)
- Registered Providers
We will also share information with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), who collect data for statistical and research purposes.
How long do we keep your data?
We will keep your personal information for the legally states retention period of 6 years. After this time it will be securely destroyed.
The Data Protection Officer and the Council’s Privacy Statement
- Service Specific Privacy Notices
- East Northamptonshire Local Plan & Neighbourhood Plans
- Council Tax and Housing Benefit
- Economic and Commercial Development Contact Database
- Houses in Multiple Occupation(HMO) Application
- National Taxi Database (NR3)
- Central Licensing Administration Unit
- Building Control
- Employee Privacy notice
- Safety and Resilience
- Garden Waste
- External Funding
- Housing Allocation and Homelessness (you are here)
- Business Rates
- Recruitment Privacy Notice
- Environmental Protection, Health Protection and Private Sector Housing Privacy Notice