How we use your personal information
We take the protection of your information seriously.
We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) under the current data protection legislation because we collect and process personal information about you. The ICO publishes certain details in the register of data controllers, which is available to the public for inspection. Our entry in the Data Protection Public Register is available via this link Data Protection Public Register. Enter Z568603X, the Council's Data Protection Registration number.
These pages explain how we collect, use and share your information, how we keep it safe, how long we keep it and how we will dispose of it when we no longer need it.
The Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulation ensure that we comply with a series of data protection principles. These principles are there to protect you and they make sure that we:
- Process all personal information lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner;
- Collect personal information for a specified, explicit and legitimate purpose;
- Ensure that the personal information processed is adequate, relevant and limited to the purposes for which it was collected or compatible with this purpose;
- Ensure the personal information is kept accurate and up to date;
- Keep your personal information for no longer than is necessary for the purpose(s) that we collected it for; and
- Keep your personal information securely using appropriate technical and/or organisational measures.
For ease of use, we have broken up our Privacy Statement into sections, which can be accessed using the links below.
- How we use your personal information (you are here)
- Why do we collect information about you?
- What information do we collect and hold about you?
- Who do we share your information with, why and how?
- How we will keep your information accurate and up to date
- Prevention and detection of crime and fraud
- How we will keep your information safe
- Your privacy at the heart of everything we do
- How we store your information
- How long we will keep your information
- Keeping you in control – understanding your rights around your personal information
- Who to contact
- Service Specific Privacy Notice