Each year the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) for East Northamptonshire Council has a legal requirement to conduct an annual canvass to ensure the electoral register is accurate and complete, ready for when we re-publish it on 1st December. The 2020 annual canvass has been reformed by the Government and there are new requirements which are set in law.
How does the new canvass work?
Step 1: Data Matching (undertaken June 2020)
- The Electoral Register was sent securely to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) database to be matched with their records in June. Elector’s names and addresses were matched against National Insurance details and other information held by the DWP. In addition to this the ERO used local information (e.g. Council Tax records) to carry out a local data matching exercise.
- Where all people registered to vote at a property were matched with either of these sets of information the property has been sent down the Route 1 canvass path.
- If there are any people at a property that cannot be matched then the property will be sent down the Route 2 canvass path.
- Care homes, nursing homes and all other properties that have a responsible person (e.g. a Duty Manager) will be sent down the Route 3 canvass path.
Step 2: Routes of Communication
Route 1 (Issued from 14 July 2020) Matched Electors
- We shall send each property a form with the elector details listed on it. A blank form will be sent if no one is registered to vote at the property. If the information on the form is correct you do not contact us and you will not need to anything further.
- If you need to add or remove someone from the property or make any other changes, go to the website address and use the two security codes (unique to each property) on the form to login and complete the change.
- If you are unable to respond online and you have changes to submit you can call 01832 742155 or return by post to Electoral Services at East Northamptonshire Council, Cedar Drive, Thrapston, Northamptonshire, NN14 4LZ.
Route 2 (Issued from 14 July 2020) Unmatched Electors
- We will send a form to the property through the post which will have elector details listed on it if we are aware of registered electors. A blank form will be sent if no one is registered to vote at the property. If we hold an email address for an elector/s at the property, we shall also send an email.
- We need a response from this form/email even if there are no changes to report.
- If you would like to add or remove someone from the property or make any other changes, go to the website address and use the security codes on the form to login and complete the change.
- If you unable to respond online and you have changes to submit you can call 01832 742155 or return by post to Electoral Services at East Northamptonshire Council, Cedar Drive, Thrapston, Northamptonshire, NN14 4LZ.
Route 2 (Reminders, issued from 30 August 2020 onwards)
- If you do not respond to our initial route 2 communication we shall send a further form to the property through the post. Again you will be able to respond online, (or via telephone or by text only if you have no changes). Alternatively, at this stage if you have changes to make and are unable to respond online you can post the form back to us using an enclosed business reply envelope.
- Please note the business reply envelope will be marked for return to Civica Election Services, London which will be sorting and scanning returns in a secure environment on behalf of the Council. Canvass forms should NOT be returned to East Northamptonshire House in Thrapston.
- If we do not receive a response from the form we send we will make every attempt to get a response from you. This may be by sending reminder forms, by telephone, email or by a visit to your property between September and November.
Route 3 (July to November 2020)
- Managers of Residential Care Homes, Co-ordinators of school halls of residence and people responsible for Houses in Multiple Occupation will be contacted directly by a member of Electoral Services for information regarding the electors at the property to ensure we have the correct people registered.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak our Officers, for both route 2 and route 3 electors, we will only visit your property when it is safe to do so.