Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website


Different types of election

General or parliamentary elections

These must take place within five years of the previous general election but can be called at any time. 

In a general election, you can vote for a Member of Parliament (MP) to represent where you live.

There are two parliamentary constituencies in East Northamptonshire:

  • Corby and East Northamptonshire
  • Rushden and Wellingborough
The current MP for Corby and East Northamptonshire is Tom Pursglove and the MP for Wellingborough and Rushden is Peter Bone MP.
Corby and East Northamptonshire constituency Wellingborough and Rushden constituency
Aldwincle, Apethorpe, Ashton, Barnwell, Benefield, Blatherwycke, Brigstock, Bulwick, Clopton, Collyweston, Cotterstock, Deene, Deenethorpe, Denford, Duddington with Fineshade, Easton-on-the-Hill, Fotheringhay, Glapthorn, Great Addington, Hargrave, Harringworth, Hemington, Irthlingborough, Islip, Kings Cliffe, Laxton, Lilford-cum-Wigsthorpe,Little Addington, Lowick (Lowick and Slipton Ward), Luddington, Lutton, Nassington, Oundle, Pilton, Polebrook, Raunds, Ringstead, Southwick, Stanwick, Stoke Doyle, Sudborough, Tansor, Thorpe Achurch, Thrapston, Thurning, Titchmarsh, Twywell, Wadenhoe, Wakerley, Warmington, Woodford, Woodnewton and Yarwell Chelveston-cum-Caldecott, Higham Ferrers, Newton Bromswold and Rushden

European Parliamentary elections

There are 5 Members of the European Parliament (MEP) for the East Midlands, which is the European Parliamentary Region for East Northamptonshire.

Please visit the European parliament Information Office for the United Kingdom website for more information.

Northamptonshire County Council elections

Elections to the County Council take place every four years. The results are available on the Northamptonshire County Council website.

You can find out who your County Councillor is by viewing the Find your councillor page on Northamptonshire County Council's website.

East Northamptonshire Council elections

These also take place every four years.

East Northamptonshire is divided into 22 wards, each with their own polling district(s) and polling station(s). Some areas are also represented by a parish. 

There are 40 Councillors on East Northamptonshire Council. To find out about your local councillor, visit our councillors' page.

Visit our how to stand as a district councillor page if you are interested in representing your community.

Town and Parish Council elections

Town and Parish council elections are held every four years.
Parish or town councils are the most local level of government in England.  They are independent of other levels of local government, i.e. district and county council, however they maintain a close working relationship with both. The powers of parishes vary depending on how large and how active they are.
They must meet at least four times a year, including one public meeting and many meet more frequently.  Larger parishes carry out many duties such as street lighting, managing cemeteries, allotments, commons, village halls, war memorials and markets etc.
The Town and parish clerks contact list provides contact details for all 51 parish councils in East Northamptonshire.
Visit the Parish Review page for information on the current boundary reviews.
Visit the Electoral Commission website for information on standing for election as a Town or Parish councillor.
Parish polls
Parish polls provide an opportunity for local people to express an opinion on a specific subject. They are  different from a normal election as:
  • You can only vote on polling day. There are no postal or proxy votes for a Parish Poll
  • We don't issue poll cards
  • Polls open at 4pm and close at 9pm
  • Parish Polls can't be held on the same day as other elections
  • The cost of holding the poll is met by the parish council
  • It will ask you a question - which you will be able to answer either yes or no
  • The result is not necessarily binding


If an MP or a local councillor resigns or dies, the 'seat' becomes vacant and a by-election may be called to find a replacement. A by-election can happen at any time provided the vacancy occurs at least six months before the date for normal elections.

Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner Elections

More information on the work of Police and Crime Commissioners can be found on the Choose my PCC website.

Previous election results

Details of the results of recent elections can be found on our Previous election results page.

More information

  1. Different types of election (you are here)
  2. Polling stations
  3. Current elections
  4. Past elections
  5. Publication of Verification Number
  6. Notices