Review of polling districts, polling places and polling stations
East Northamptonshire Council (ENC) is required by law to divide its area into polling districts for the purposes of Parliamentary elections, and to designate polling places for each of those districts. The Council must complete a review of all polling districts and polling places every four years. The last review took place in 2007.
Since 2007, we have also kept the location of polling stations under review to ensure that the premises we use have good access for all electors. We are taking this opportunity to review our polling stations as part of this current review.
- a polling district is a geographical area, created by the sub-division of a parliamentary constituency or ward, into smaller areas. Each parish must be a separate polling district;
- a polling place is a geographical area defined by the Council within which the polling station is found. There must be one polling place for each polling district. This could be a particular building or even the whole polling district;
- a polling station is the physical location at which polling places take place, and it is the responsibility of the Returning Officer to designate polling stations within the polling place.
The Acting Returning Officers for the Wellingborough and Corby Constituencies have been consulted, and their representations will be published in due course.
You are invited to comment on the existing arrangements, and on ENC's Returning Officer's initial proposals before any new arrangements are agreed by the Council. Please submit your comments or observations to the Democratic Services Manager (contact details on the right) by no later than 15 September 2011.
The results of the review will be found here in due course.
All representations will then be considered and a full report will be submitted to the Council for approval on 31 October 2011.
- Notice of review
- Consultation paper, with initial proposals
- Representations received during the review
- Equality impact assessments
- Results of the review