Village Design Statements
Town/ Village Design Statements (VDS) are prepared by local people in order to provide more detailed guidance on design of new development in their town or villages. When adopted by the Council, a VDS has the status of supplementary planning document (SPD) and may be taken into account as a 'material consideration' when determining planning applications.
East Northamptonshire Council has produced a VDS guidance note to provide general advice about town and village design statements.
The consultation on the draft Village Design Statement for Cotterstock closed on 10 August 2020 and the final document has now been adopted by the Planning Policy Committee.
What is the draft Cotterstock Village Design Statement - Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)?
A Village Design statement is prepared by the community to provide more detailed guidance on the design of new development, in their locality. After a Public Consultation of six weeks, comments and suggested changes will be assessed and the updated document will be adopted as a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD), to form part of the Local Development Plan Document.
The VDS was drafted by a working group comprising members of the Cotterstock Parish Meeting, after carrying out a Village Design Survey, and was presented to East Northamptonshire Council in September 2019. The Survey, which forms Appendix 1 of the document, led to a range of guidelines being developed to cover:
- Buildings and design
- Highways and street furniture
What does the document seek to deliver?
Informed by the Village Design Survey, the VDS aims to:
- Set out a distinctive local vision for Cotterstock village for the period up to 2031
- Ensure that future development within the Parish acknowledges the existing landscape character and settlement pattern and that planning applications have taken these into account
- Protect the unique character and appearance of the Conservation Area
- Protect important views, landscape character, open spaces, mature trees, natural landscaping features, wildlife and natural environments.
On 8th June, 2020 the Planning Policy Committee of East Northamptonshire Council approved the draft VDS for consultation, with a view to adopting the Cotterstock Village Design Statement as a statutory Supplementary Planning Document (SPD). This consultation took place over 6 weeks (26 June – 10 August 2020, inclusive).
All the views received from the Public Consultation have been assessed and the Council has updated the document. This version has been presented to the Planning Policy Committee for their approval. The Planning Policy Committee agreed to adopt the final document as a statutory Supplementary Planning Document for use in the determination of Planning Applications and in giving general planning advice.
In accordance with Part 4 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 (Statutory Instrument 2012 No. 767), as amended, the Cotterstock VDS was adopted by the Council as a statutory SPD on 21 September 2020. The relevant consultation documents may be viewed through the following links:
- Adopted Cotterstock Village Design Statement – SPD
- Statement of consultation (Planning Policy Committee 21 September 2020, Agenda Item 6)
- Adoption Statement
Pilton, Stoke Doyle and Wadenhoe VDS
In 2013 the Pilton, Stoke Doyle and Wadenhoe Village Design Statement (VDS) was launched by the Parish Council. In February 2016 we adopted the VDS as a statutory Supplementary Planning Document.
A VDS for Warmington was adopted as supplementary planning guidance, in November 2003. This document provides non-statutory guidance, but it may be a material consideration in planning decisions.
- North Northamptonshire Sustainable Design SPD
- Northamptonshire Place and Movement Guide
- Developer Contributions SPD
- Supplementary Planning Guidance, Development Briefs and Village Design Statements
- Supplementary Planning Guidance
- Development Briefs
- Village Design Statements (you are here)
- Neighbourhood Plans
- Shop Front Design SPD
- Biodiversity SPD for Northamptonshire
- Domestic Waste Storage and Collection SPD
- Trees and Landscape SPD
- Open Space SPD
- Wind and Solar Energy SPD
- Pilton, Stoke Doyle and Wadenhoe Village Design Statement SPD
- Special Protection Area SPD
- Tree Management - Guidance and Principles
- Residential Annexes SPD