Residential Annexes SPD
In December 2020 the Council agreed the preparation of a Residential Annexes SPD (Planning Policy Committee, 10 December 2020, Item 5). This will supplement the Householder Extensions SPD (adopted June 2020), by providing local guidance and direction regarding the development of residential annexes (also known as “Granny Annexes”). This issue has long been a challenge for the planning system; i.e. differentiating between a residential annex and an entirely separate dwelling.
The SPD has been prepared to provide guidance on ancillary and incidental buildings within the curtilage of residential properties. The emphasis of this document is on situations where they require Planning Permission; i.e. householder development falling outside the parameters of the Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development (England) Order 2015, as amended. However, some of the design principles included can also be applied (as best practice) to situations where annexes are being constructed under ‘Permitted Development Rights’.
The document will provide clarity on the planning criteria used to define and assess applications for residential annexes and offer guidance for agents and residents for the design of residential annexes or other non-habitable buildings. It will also be used by Planning Officers in assessing applications.
The Residential Annexes SPD was approved for consultation by the Planning Policy Committee on 8 February 2021. The consultation took place for 4-weeks, in accordance with Part 4 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 (Statutory Instrument 2012 No. 767), as amended, and closed on Monday, 22 March 2021.
A summary of responses to the Statement of Consultation can be found here.
The published Residential Annexes SPD can be found here.
If you have any further queries please contact a member of the Planning Policy team (01832 742010) or email email@example.com.
- North Northamptonshire Sustainable Design SPD
- Northamptonshire Place and Movement Guide
- Developer Contributions SPD
- Supplementary Planning Guidance, Development Briefs and Village Design Statements
- Supplementary Planning Guidance
- Development Briefs
- Village Design Statements
- Neighbourhood Plans
- Shop Front Design SPD
- Biodiversity SPD for Northamptonshire
- Domestic Waste Storage and Collection SPD
- Trees and Landscape SPD
- Open Space SPD
- Wind and Solar Energy SPD
- Pilton, Stoke Doyle and Wadenhoe Village Design Statement SPD
- Special Protection Area SPD
- Tree Management - Guidance and Principles
- Residential Annexes SPD (you are here)