Local Plan - The Policies
Decisions are made with reference to various policy documents that make up the statutory development plan, together with other policy documents; e.g. national policies. In combination, these constitute the basis upon which planning applications are determined, or decisions about future infrastructure investment or provision are made.
Replacement District-wide Local Plan Part 2
Work is currently being undertaken to produce a new district wide Local Plan Part 2. Preparation of this Plan started in January 2017. Further details (e.g. key milestones) are set out in the Local Development Scheme (below).
The Local Plan Part 2 will provide additional site specific detail to support the North Northamptonshire Joint Core Strategy (Local Plan Part 1), which sets the overarching strategic policy framework. This will replace policies from the previous Local Plan Part 2, except in cases where a “made” (adopted) Neighbourhood Plan has already superseded these. Full details are available through the following link:
Local Development Scheme
The current development planning system was introduced in 2004, by the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004. This legislation required the District Council to produce a project plan/ timetable for the preparation of the Local Plan.
This project plan for preparing the Local Plan Part 2 is known as the Local Development Scheme (LDS). The current LDS and further details are available through the following Link:
The Adopted Local Plan Part 1
The North Northamptonshire Joint Planning Unit (JPU) led preparation of the strategic part (Part 1) of the Local Plan. The Local Plan Part 1, known as the North Northamptonshire Joint Core Strategy (JCS) 2011-2031, was adopted on 14 July 2016.
The Adopted Local Plan Part 2
Site specific development plan documents and the policies map, which together form Part 2 of the Local Plan, are prepared by the Planning Policy team. The current Local Plan Part 2 consists of the following development plan documents:
- Rural North, Oundle and Thrapton Plan (RNOTP), adopted July 2011 (saved/ retained policies), covering all of the District north of the A14 together with Great Addington, Little Addington, Denford and Woodford Parishes; and
- East Northamptonshire District Local Plan (DLP), adopted November 1996 (a small number of saved/ retained policies), which continue to apply for the predominantly urban southern part of the District not covered by the RNOTP
Neighbourhood Plans are those parts of the statutory development plan whose preparation is led by Town or Parish Councils. Once formally adopted, Neighbourhood Plans form part of the development plan for the area and will be used alongside the Local Plan to assist in the determination of planning applications.
Further information about ‘made’ (adopted) and emerging Neighbourhood Plans is available through the Neighbourhood Planning web page.
Parish by parish index of adopted development plan policies
The emergence of Neighbourhood Planning has enabled more locally distinctive development plan (town or parish level) policies to be developed. This has, however, led to some fragmentation of policy making; policies that apply to a single parish area, but not elsewhere.
Therefore, a parish by parish list of policies, applicable to each parish, has been prepared.
East Northamptonshire Supplementary Planning Documents
These provide greater detail on policies in Development Plan Documents.
Minerals and Waste Local Plan
Minerals and Waste Local Plan (Northamptonshire County Council)
Responsibility for minerals and waste planning (plan making and development management) rests with the County Council. Further details are available through the County Council’s Minerals and Waste Local Plan web page.
- Local Plan - The Policies (you are here)
- North Northamptonshire Joint Planning Unit
- Core Spatial Strategy
- National Policies, Communities and Local Government Information
- Statement of Community Involvement
- East Northamptonshire Local Plan Part 2
- The Adopted Development Plan - Index of Policies
- Self Build and Custom Build Register
- Open Space and Playing Pitch Strategy
- Local Development Scheme
- Local Plan Part 2 Additional Site Allocation
- Local Plan Part 2 Additional Sites Consultation (Rushden), October 2020
- Planning Policy Committee - 27th January 2021 Document Links
- Pre-Submission Draft Local Plan Part 2 Consultation - Regulation 19
- East Northamptonshire Local Plan Part 2 - Examination