If you think that you may be entitled to benefit please apply straight away, if you delay applying you may lose benefit. Benefit is normally paid from the Monday following receipt of the claim. Benefit cannot normally be backdated unless you can satisfy us that you had good cause for not claiming earlier.
Benefit payments are made fortnightly by BACS. If you wish we can pay your landlord directly (four weeks in arrears)*, however we need confirmation from you and your landlord that you agree to this.
*If you fall under the Local Housing Allowance scheme we can only pay your landlord directly in certain circumstances, further information can be found here.
- What is Housing Benefit?
- How to make your Housing Benefit claim
- How much Housing Benefit will I receive?
- How Housing Benefit is calculated
- Housing Benefit appeals
- Changes in circumstances affecting your Housing Benefit
- Backdating your Housing Benefit
- Overpaid Housing Benefit
- Benefit Payments (you are here)
- Discretionary Housing Payments
- Can benefit be paid on two homes?
- Extended Payments
- Non dependent deductions
- Broad Market Rental Areas