Housing Benefit

Discretionary Housing Payments

Every year the Council is given a sum of money from Central Government to award Discretionary Housing Payments to people who need further assistance to meet their eligible housing costs.

It is an additional payment to Housing Benefit and can be awarded at the discretion of the authority. These payments are only available to people entitled to Housing Benefit who require further assistance.

When people are charged rent it sometimes states in their tenancy agreement that the rent includes a charge for other services, such as meals, electricity and charges for water. Eligible housing costs are therefore the amount of charged rent minus any ineligible service charges.

Ineligible service charges are not paid by Housing Benefit. Therefore, you may have a shortfall in the amount of Housing Benefit that East Northamptonshire Council pays and the amount of rent you must pay your landlord. Unfortunately Discretionary Housing Payments are not available to make up this shortfall.

For further information please see Discretionary Housing Payments.

To apply for Discretionary Housing payments you will need to complete an application form, guidance notes on the scheme are included.

If, after reading through the application form and guidance notes you require help completing the application form please visit one of our offices.


Cedar Drive


NN14 4LZ

8.45 am - 4.30 pm

Monday - Friday 

Rushden Customer Service Centre

Newton Road


NN10 0PT

9 am - 4.30 pm

Monday - Friday 


 Assistance may also be available from Community Law Services or your landlord.