A guide to overpayments and debt

An overpayment is when we pay you or your landlord an amount of Housing or Council Tax Support, but you were not entitled to receive it.  In most cases we will send you a revised Council Tax bill and you will have to pay more council tax.

Overpayments happen for various reasons such as:-

  • You may have forgotten to tell us of a change in your income
  • Somebody may have moved into or out of your home
  • You may have moved out of your home and not told us
  • If you have other adults living with you, their circumstances may have changed

You are responsible for telling us directly about any changes and must not rely on any other offices to do it for you.

If you do have an overpayment the council will send you a letter giving the full details of the overpayment, how it happened and how we will recover the overpayment.

If after our explanation you disagree with the overpayment you can appeal. You must write to us within one calendar month of the date of our letter, asking us for a more detailed explanation or asking us to look again at our decision.

  • The things that you can challenge are
  • Whether we can recover the overpayment
  • who we can recover it from
  • how we worked it out
  • your savings and investments have reduced (only if we overpaid you because your savings and investments had increased)

The things you cannot challenge are:

  • Whether we 'should' recover the overpayment or not
  • how we choose to recover the overpayment

Further information is available  through our leaflet 'A guide to overpayment and debts'.  This information includes advice as to where you can find help with your debts.