Strategic Flood Risk Assessment
The Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA) is a critical evidence base document which underpins the Local Plan. The SFRA consists of two elements:
- Level 1 – Overarching District-level assessment, applying existing published (secondary) data to establish whether new development can be allocated outside high and medium flood risk areas.
- Level 2 – More detailed bespoke site-specific flood risk assessment (e.g. for an individual settlement), involving primary data collection and modelling regarding probability, depths, velocity rates and duration of flooding. A Level 2 SFRA is required where the Level 1 assessment shows that land outside low flood risk areas cannot appropriately accommodate all the necessary development.
Level 1 SFRA
The previous Level 1 SFRA was completed in August 2011. The Environment Agency (EA) formally advised the Council about the likely need to undertake detailed Level 2 SFRA work for certain sites/ locations, in a letter dated 26 September 2011. It has been necessary to update the previous Level 1 SFRA, to support the East Northamptonshire Local Plan Part 2.
Work to update the Level 1 SFRA was begun in 2018. Further engagement with statutory consultees (e.g. Environment Agency; Northamptonshire County Council (Lead Local Flood Authority); and Anglian Water) was undertaken during autumn 2019, with the document finalised in February 2020. The updated Level 1 SFRA consists of the following:
- Main SFRA report, incorporating appendices 1, 2 and 5
- Appendix 3a – Site assessment
- Appendix 3b – Site assessment – map index
- Appendix 4a – EA preliminary SFRA review, 2 October 2018
- Appendix 4b – Irthlingborough Flood Zone map, October 2018
- Appendix 4c – Irthlingborough Flood Zone 3b map, October 2018
- Appendix 4d – Conalgen Enterprises SA representation regarding Local Plan Part 2, 13 December 2018
- Appendix 4e – Correspondence on behalf of Conalgen Enterpreises SA, 17 September 2019
- Annex A – SFRA Level 1 strategic maps
- Annex B – SFRA Level 1 site maps
The final draft Level 1 SFRA was circulated to the Environment Agency in January 2020. It was signed off by the Environment Agency on 7 February 2020.
Level 2 SFRA
Following on from the 2011 SFRA, a more detailed Level 2 SFRA was undertaken, examining specific potential development sites around Rushden and Irthlingborough. This work was completed in November 2012. The EA (response, 14 December 2012) has endorsed the Level 2 SFRA in respect of the assessment of sites at Rushden and Irthlingborough.
Level 2 SFRA Report and Appendices (November 2012):
- Level 2 SFRA Report
- Study Area
- Rushden Lakes
- Rushden Town Centre Sites
- Finedon Road Stream, Irthlingborough
- Pluvial modelling
The detailed Level 2 SFRA remains pertinent with respect to identified sites at Rushden and Irthlingborough, and should be read in conjunction with the updated (2020) Level 1 SFRA.