Cookie Consent by Your guide to making an application for Advertisement Consent | Your guide to making an application for Advertisement Consent | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Your guide to making an application for Advertisement Consent


This guide is to help you make your application. Together with the other information provided in this page, it explains how to fill in the application forms, the information that you will need to provide and where to go for more help.

We can’t cover everything in this guide, planning can be complex, so please contact us if you need more information or advice on 01832 742143.

What is an “advertisement”?

The term “advertisement” covers a very wide range of advertisements and signs including:

  • Posters and notices
  • Placards and boards
  • Fascia signs and projecting signs
  • Models and devices
  • Pole signs and canopy signs
  • Advance signs and directional signs
  • Estate agents boards
  • Captive balloon advertising and flags
  • Price markers and price displays
  • Traffic signs
  • Town and village name boards

Memorials and railway signals are not regarded as advertisements.

When is an Advertisement Consent application required?

Some advertisements are not regulated by the Local Planning Authority and others benefit from “deemed consent” which means an application is not needed. Others will need the “express consent” of the Local Planning Authority and these require an application.

Types of advertising which are likely to need express consent include:

  • The majority of illuminated signs
  • Advertisements using specialized structures for their display such as poster hoardings and most non Highway Authority roadside advance warning or directional signs
  • Signs on business premises positioned over 4.6 meters above ground level or that are above the level of the bottom part of the first floor window or on gable ends
  • Advertisements that do not relate to the business of the premises on which they are displayed

When to use this form

This form should only be used for non-electronic submissions of applications for Advertisement Consent. You will need a different form for applications for planning permission, Listed Building Consent or for applications combining with Listed Building Consent or planning permission. If you are not sure which form to use for your application, please contact us – we are happy to help.

General Advice on Advertisement Consent

When deciding applications for Advertisement Consent local authorities will have regard only to considerations of amenity and public safety.

Every grant of consent, be it deemed or express, is subject to the standard conditions set out in the Regulations, namely:

  • Must have permission of the site owner
  • Must not endanger persons using the highway; obscure a traffic or other signal; or hinder security or speed cameras
  • Must be maintained in a satisfactory condition
  • Must be maintained in a safe condition
  • When required to be removed the site must be left in a safe and tidy condition

Express consents are only ever granted for a limited period. This is generally for five years but may be for longer or shorted periods. Unless a condition of the consent requires the discontinuance of the display, advertisements may continue to be displayed after the expiration of the limited period by virtue of deemed consent. If you require a specific period for your proposed display you may request such a period within your application.

Before you make your application

Pre-application advice can often help to resolve issues and save you time and expense. We offer a pre-application advice service to provide advice on policy and design issues. For pre-application advice it is expected that you will submit your proposals in writing, describing your proposals and the site with sketch plans and relevant photographs.

When advertisement consent is granted, it is on the basis of the detailed plans submitted. It is therefore imperative that you make sure that the details you submit are those that you want to undertake, as even minor changes from the approved plans can require a fresh application, which will be subject to exactly the same process as before.

Appointments to deal with current applications need to be made directly with the case officer.

These notes are to help you complete your application, if you would like further help, please email us at

Making your application

Applications may be made electronically via The Planning Portal. The benefits of submitting electronically are:

  • The Planning Portal will automatically check that you have completed all the necessary boxes and certificates. Your application is more likely to be right first time.
  • Your application will get to us quicker.
  • If you attach plans and documents, you will not incur printing and postage costs.
  • You will receive an email to say the application has been received by the council.

The Planning Portal website is:

Otherwise, it is important that an original and 3 duplicate copies of the application form, plans and documents are submitted. For larger or more complex applications, further sets of drawings may be needed for consultation purposes. We will let you know if we need more copies. In addition, if available, it would be helpful to receive an electronic copy of documents and plans.

Completing the Application form

The application form is designed to provide a base level of information about you and your proposal.

You may print the form and fill it in. Please ensure that you complete all of the questions.

Drawings and documents to accompany your application

In addition to the application form, you will need to submit plans and possibly other documents to describe your proposal and to explain how it affects or is affected by issues relevant to advertisements. The circumstances when these documents are required are set out in the application form and in our “Local Requirements” which should be checked before submission of the application. This pack contains a bespoke list of “Local Requirements” relevant to this type of application. Failure to submit all necessary plans and documents will delay the validation of the application.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the consent of the copyright owner before you make copies of any plans.

You can buy copies of Ordnance Survey maps, to use as site location plans and block plans from us (telephone 01832 742100). You can also buy them from Ordnance Survey Siteplan agents. Unauthorised copying of these or other plans constitutes a breach of copyright, against which legal action could be taken.


Planning application fees are set by the government for the submission of every planning application. The fee that you will have to pay with your application is shown on the attached list of current planning fees. If you are not sure how much to pay, please contact us. Your application cannot be considered until the correct fee has been paid. Cheques should be made payable to North Northants Council.

Certain types of application and some circumstances do not require a fee. The details of exemptions and concessions are set out in the list of fees. Please tell us with your application if you think you don’t need to pay a fee and why.

Other consents

Consent under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations does not relieve the applicant from obtaining any other consents which may be necessary, eg Listed Building Consent, Petroleum Acts, Highway Acts etc.

By completing the form you are applying only for Advertisement Consent. In many cases, building works will also require Building Regulations Approval. This is the control of building works for fire resistance, structural stability, ventilation, thermal insulation and drainage. This application will be dealt with separately from any application submitted for Building Regulations Approval (which would involve additional forms, plans and fees). It is possible that planning permission could be refused and Building Regulations Approval given for a specific proposal (or vice-versa).

It is up to you to ensure that you have All necessary consents before starting work. You can speak to someone about Building Regulations by contacting the Building Control Helpline on 01832 742139. Granting consent does not give you the right to enter land or carry out work on land that you do not own. Consent is only the approval of your proposal by the Council as Local Planning Authority, further consents may be needed in order to comply with covenants contained within your Deeds or to comply with the Party Wall Act. You will still need to obtain the landowner’s permission where necessary. This is your responsibility. It is always a good idea to talk to your neighbours about your proposal before submitting your application.

Contacting Development Services

  • Our address is Development Control, North Northamptonshire Council Thrapston Office, Cedar Drive, Thrapston, Northamptonshire NN14 4LZ
  • Our Telephone number is 01832 742143
  • Our e-mail address is

The Customer Service Centre at Thrapston is open during the following hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.