Cookie Consent by Your guide to making an Application for Listed Building Consent | Your guide to making an Application for Listed Building Consent | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Your guide to making an Application for Listed Building Consent


This guide is to help you make an application for Listed Building Consent. Together with the other information provided in this page, it explains how to fill in the application forms, the information that you will need to provide and where to go for more help. We can’t cover everything in this guide, planning can be complex, so please contact us if you need more information or advice on 01832 742143.

When to use this form

This form should only be used for electronic and non-electronic submissions of applications for Listed Building Consent. You will need a different form for other types of planning application, or for applications combining with Planning Permission, Advertisement Consent or Conservation Area Consent. If you are not sure which form to use for your application, please contact us – we are happy to help.

Listed Building Consent is needed for Any alterations, extensions or demolitions which affect the character or fabric of a listed building. This applies to All Parts of the building, interior and exterior, regardless of the listing grade and whether the feature to be altered is mentioned in the official list description. This will include boundary walls. It may also apply to associated buildings which are within the curtilage of the principal building. Curtilage buildings are ones which form part of the land and have done so since before 1 July 1948.

If your proposal affects a listed building which is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument, you will need to make an application to English Heritage for Scheduled Monument Consent. This supersedes the requirement for Listed Building Consent.

Please note that it is an offence in law to carry out unauthorized works to a listed building.

Before you make your application

Pre-application advice can often help to resolve issues and save you time and expense. We offer a pre-application advice service to provide advice on policy and design issues. For pre-application advice it is expected that you will submit your proposals in writing, describing your proposals and the site with sketch plans and relevant photographs.

Appointments to deal with current applications need to be made directly with the case officer.

These notes are to help you complete your application, if you would like further help, please email us at

Making your application

Applications may be made electronically via The Planning Portal, or by emailing the application form and supporting information to The benefits of submitting you application via The Planning Portal are:

  • The Planning Portal will automatically check that you have completed all the necessary boxes and certificates. Your application is more likely to be right first time.
  • Your application will get to us quicker.
  • If you attach plans and documents, you will not incur printing and postage costs.
  • You will receive an email to say the application has been received by the council.

The Planning Portal website is:

Otherwise, it is important that an original and 3 duplicate copies of the application form, plans and documents are submitted. For larger or more complex applications, further sets of drawings may be needed for consultation purposes. We will let you know if we need more copies. In addition, if available, it would be helpful to receive an electronic copy of documents and plans.

Please note that this authority prefers to receive all documents electronically or by email to

When Listed Building Consent is granted, it is on the basis of the detailed plans submitted. It is therefore imperative that you make sure that the details you submit are those that you want to undertake, as even minor changes from the approved plans can require a fresh application, which will be subject to exactly the same process as before.

Completing the Application form

The application form is designed to provide a base level of information about you and your proposal. You may print the form and fill it in. Notes to help you complete the form are included in this application pack, the number of the Note correspond to the section number of the form. Please ensure that you complete all of the questions.

Drawings and documents to accompany your application

In addition to the application form, you will need to submit plans and other documents to describe your proposal. Applicants for listed building consent must be able to justify their proposals. You will need to show why the works which would affect the character of a listed building are desirable and necessary.

You will need to provide the local planning authority with sufficient reasons why your proposals are desirable and necessary to secure the long term future of the building. This may include a specialist surveyor’s or structural engineer’s report.

Further information as to what is required is set out in the application form and in our “Local Requirements” which should be checked before submission of the application. This pack contains a bespoke list of “Local Requirements” relevant to this type of application. Failure to submit all necessary plans and documents will delay the validation of the application.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the consent of the copyright owner before you make copies of any plans.

You can buy copies of Ordnance Survey maps, to use as site location plans and block plans from us (telephone 01832 742100). You can also buy them from Ordnance Survey Siteplan agents. Unauthorised copying of these or other plans constitutes a breach of copyright, against which legal action could be taken.

Certificates of Ownership

  • If you are the sole owner of the land to which the application relates please complete Certificate A. (Owner means a person having a freehold or leasehold interest with at least seven years unexpired.) This Certificate is not appropriate unless you are the sole freehold owner.
  • If you are not the sole owner of the land or if any part of the development goes outside land in your ownership (even if only the highway), please complete the Notice and serve it on each of the owners and then complete Certificate B.
  • If you do not know the names of all of the owners you will need to complete the Notice and serve it on any known owners and publish it in a local newspaper. Then you can complete Certificate C.
  • If you cannot trace any of the owners then complete the Notice and serve it on any known owners and publish it in a local newspaper. Then you can complete Certificate D.

Design and Access Statements

These statements help you to consider the best design solutions for your proposal and to explain how you have chosen the design which you submit. They are used by us to help assess your proposals. All applications for Listed Building Consent require a Design and Access Statement to be submitted with the application.

For further information on writing a Design and Access Statement please go to the website for the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) at: and look at their document “Design and Access Statements: How to write, read and use them”.

Heritage Assessments

In determining applications, local planning authorities should require an applicant to describe the significance of any heritage assets affected, including any contribution made by their setting. The level of detail should be proportionate to the assets’ importance and no more than is sufficient to understand the potential impact of the proposal on their significance. As a minimum the relevant historic environment record should have been consulted and the heritage assets assessed using appropriate expertise where necessary. Where a site on which development is proposed includes, or has the potential to include, heritage assets with archaeological interest, local planning authorities should require developers to submit an appropriate desk-based assessment and, where necessary, a field evaluation.

For further information on writing a Heritage Assessment please go to the Historic England website.


Planning application fees are set by the government for the submission of every planning application. For the current cost of applications please see the Fees and Charges list. There is currently No Fee for Listed Building Consent applications.

Other consents

By completing the form you are applying only for Listed Building Consent. In many cases, building works will also require Building Regulations Approval. This is the control of building works for fire resistance, structural stability, ventilation, thermal insulation and drainage. This application will be dealt with separately from any application submitted for Building Regulations Approval (which would involve additional forms, plans and fees). It is possible that planning permission could be refused and Building Regulations Approval given for a specific proposal (or vice-versa).

It is up to you to ensure that you have all necessary consents before starting work. You can speak to someone about Building Regulations by contacting the Building Control Helpline on 01832 742139. Granting consent does not give you the right to enter land or carry out work on land that you do not own. Consent is only the approval of your proposal by the Council as Local Planning Authority, further consents may be needed in order to comply with covenants contained within your Deeds or to comply with the Party Wall Act. You will still need to obtain the landowner’s permission where necessary. This is your responsibility. It is always a good idea to talk to your neighbours about your proposal before submitting your application.

Contacting Development Services

  • Our address is Development Control, North Northamptonshire Council Thrapston Office, Cedar Drive, Thrapston, Northamptonshire NN14 4LZ
  • Our Telephone number is 01832 742143
  • Our e-mail address is

The Customer Service Centre at Thrapston is open during the following hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.