Coronavirus advice - Stay alert, help control the virus and save lives

For more information and the latest guidance on Covid-19

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), listed buildings, conservations areas and other consents

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), listed buildings, conservation areas and other consents

Environmental Impact Assessments

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a process by which information about the likely environmental effects of certain projects is collected, assessed and taken into account both by the future applicant and by us, the Local Planning Authority, in deciding whether planning permission should be granted. Therefore EIA has two roles, improving decision making and project planning.

The Government has produced guidance outlining when an EIA would be required as well as a guide of what would need to be included within an EIA:Circular 02/99: Environmental Impact Assessments

Listed buildings and conservation areas

If the property is a listed building or in a conservation area, you may need additional consent.

See Conservation

Other consents

As well as planning permission, other consents and permissions may be needed before you start any work. If you're not sure, get in touch with the duty planner on 01832 742225 (between 9am and 1pm Monday to Friday), or write to us

Just remember you may need the following consents as well...

Building regulations: If you intend to construct a new building, extend or alter an existing building or put an existing building to a different use, Building Regulations will probably apply.

Information on building regulations is available in Building Control

Consents not dealt with by the council - These cover a wide range of areas, dependent upon the type of work that you propose, but include:

In all cases please ensure that proposed works are in accordance with any covenants on the Title Deed of the land.

You will also need to be seek permission from the land owner in order to have access or do works upon land that you do not own.