Cookie Consent by Apply for planning permission | Apply for planning permission | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Apply for planning permission

East Northamptonshire Council takes the protection of your personal data seriously. Please read our Planning Services Privacy Notice for information on how we treat your personal data.

Apply for planning permission for

  • building works,
  • advertisement consent,
  • works to trees,
  • demolition in a conservation area,
  • listed building consent,
  • prior notification certificates,
  • discharge of conditions, and
  • lawful development certificates.

How do I apply for planning permission?

Preferably via the national Planning Portal website

Please see important information relating to Planning Portal charges:

or by downloading the relevant application form.

How much does planning permission cost?

You can pay your application fee by heading to the homepage and selecting 'To pay a council bill'.

Information required with your application

Application form

  • Fill in every section of the application form,
  • Sign and date the correct ownership certificate on the application form,
  • Sign and date the declaration on the application form, and
  • Pay the appropriate planning fee.

Plans and drawings

Location plan

  • This is needed to identify the property so that everyone knows which house is applying for planning permission
  • Please note that we cannot accept land Registry plans or plans using Ordnance Survey data that have no OS copyright statement
  • It must be drawn to a scale of 1:1250
  • Have a complete red line drawn around the whole site up to the highway
  • Have a blue line surrounding any adjacent land that you have a financial interest in
  • If your application is for a new or altered access then all the area needing work (including the area of dropped kerb) must also be included in the red line.

How to obtain plans

You can order in the following ways:

Plans can also be purchased from a number of other companies online.

Block plan

  • A block plan (or site plan) is required if you are extending your house or erecting buildings within your garden curtilage.
  • It must be drawn to a scale of 1:200 or 1:500, and
  • It must show: the proposed works in relation to your boundaries, the neighbouring properties, other existing buildings and features such as trees within or adjacent to the site.

Elevations and floor plans

  • Existing and proposed elevations and floor plans are needed for all applications.
  • They must be drawn to a scale of 1:50 or 1:100.
  • Partial elevations/floor plans are not acceptable as your proposal needs to be considered in relation to the whole of the existing building.
  • They must be clear, accurate and precise.
  • The positions of doors/windows must be identical on the elevations and floor plans.
  • Please note that we cannot accept drawing with 'do not scale' written on them.

Supporting information

Other reports will be needed for some applications.  Please check with us before you submit your application to see if additional information is needed.  Common reports required are:

  • Design and Access Statement - will be needed if your property is in a conservation area or is a listed building.
  • Heritage Impact Assessment - will be needed if your property is in (or adjacent to) a conservation area or if it is (or adjacent to) a listed building.
  • Tree Survey - will be needed if your property has any trees.
  • Please be aware that other reports or information may be required.

The following guides give more detail on what you need to submit with a planning application: