If you have a change in your circumstances, you must inform East Northamptonshire Council, in writing within one month. This is because some changes will affect your entitlement.
It is essential to tell the council as quickly as possible because any changes that mean your Council Tax Support needs to increase can only be paid from the Monday following the date you let us know. Please also remember that if your circumstances change significantly there might be other benefits you are entitled to.
If your discount reduces as a result of a change, we will go back to the date your circumstances changed. If you don't notify us and you are overpaid, you will have to pay this back.
Here are some examples of changes in circumstances that you should report to us within one calendar month:
- Any change to the household income or savings
- Your income support or job seekers allowance has stopped
- A change to your address
- If anyone joins or leaves the household
- Any changes in your rent
- Any absence from home - even a temporary one
- Any hospitalisation of you or your partner
- Any change in the tax credit you receive
This list is not exhaustive - if in doubt please contact us and we can confirm whether it affects your discount or not. Alternatively please fill in the change of circumstances form.