Cookie Consent by Consents and certifications | Other consents and certifications you need to consider | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Other consents and certifications you need to consider

Consents and certifications

There are other consents, certification and legislation which you may need to consider before submitting your building regulation application or before starting building work.

Planning permission

To check whether Planning Permission is needed go to the Planning Portal at

Listed building consent

Any alteration to a listed building, internal or external, may require listed building consent.

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building which would affect its special interest, without first obtaining listed building consent.

Anglian Water

If you intend to build over or within 3m of a sewer owned by Anglian Water (a public sewer) you may need written agreement from them to do so.

You are also precluded from submitting a Building Notice where this situation arises.

Access to public sewer records is available at the council offices in Thrapston between 9am and 4:30pm. Although you do not need an appointment, it is advisable to contact us in advance to ensure someone is available.

Anglian Water may specify certain conditions regarding the building work as part of the agreement and will require a fee to be paid. More information can be found from Anglian water.

We will automatically inform Anglian Water when it receives an application that shows a proposed building or extension over or near a public sewer.

Contaminated land

Contaminated land - an Environmental Impact Assessment maybe need if any form of contamination is found to be present in the ground.

Party Wall Act

If you intend to carry out work which involves any of the following:

  • work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property
  • building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • excavating near a neighbouring building

You must find out whether the work you intend to carry out falls within the Party Wall Act - if it does you must notify all adjoining owners.

Please note we do not deal with the Party Wall Act it should dealt with by a Party Wall Surveyor or solicitor.