Cookie Consent by Temporary Event Notices | Entertainment and Alcohol Licensing | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Entertainment and Alcohol Licensing

Temporary Event Notices

CLAU Privacy Notice


To hold an occasional event in our area you may be required to submit a temporary event notice (TEN) to us formally known as 'serving' a Temporary Event Notice.

If the premises where the event is to be held sits in areas governed by two or more local authorities an application must be made to each of them.

Activities where a TEN is required include :

  • selling alcohol (note if alcohol is provided at an event a sale may be deemed to be included in any entry or ticket fee).

  • serving alcohol to non - members of a private club

  • providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events

  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am (known as late night refreshment).

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of the existing licence for the premises/club your event will be held at, for example holding a wedding at a community centre.

* Important Notice *

To avoid potential delay to the serving of a notice during the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic it is highly recommended that, whenever possible, you submit your temporary event notice (TEN) to us online via Applications should be giveen to us no later than 10 clear working days before the event .

Apply online

If you prefer to send us a postal application you must also send a copy of your application to the Chief Officer of the local police department and to the local authority Environmental Health Officer, again no later than ten working days before the event period.

Apply by post

Further Information for TEN postal applications

Eligibility Criteria

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year. A person cannot apply for a separate TEN on the same premises without a gap of at least 24 hours between events.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time (including staff running the event) and last no more than 168 hours.

A premises can only be authorised to hold a maximum of 15 temporary events per year over a maximum period of 21 days in any calendar year.. Note: For the years 2022 and 2023 only the number of temporary events that may be served per year are increased to 20 over a maximum period of 26 days per calendar year.

The notice must be in the specific format prescribed in law and should contain:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the total period for the event
  • the times when during that period when each activity will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters

if your TEN is required for an event that is part of a much larger event e.g. a street fair or concert, you should provide a plan to clearly identify how you will comply with capacity restrictions.

An event and the activities carried out must be as those detailed in the notice that has been given.

Events held in private dwellings are generally not  licensable unless those attending are charged with a view to making a profit from the activities (including raising money for charity).

Schedules 1 and 2 of the Licensing Act 2003 provide fuller details of the definitions and exemptions relating to regulated entertainment and late night refreshment.

A fee is payable with the notice.

Application Evaluation Process

We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by sending a notice to the premises user by the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

If the area chief police officer and/or environmental health officer believe that the event would undermine the licensing objectives they can serve an objection notice on the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

We must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. A counter notice may be issued if it is considered necessary for the promotion of crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

If the premises has a licence the chief police officer and environmental health officer can add a statement of conditions (taken from the premises licence) to the TEN. The conditions will apply to the TEN or the event will not go ahead. There ia a right of appeal against the conditions unless it was a late application.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

What if I do not hear (Will Tacit Consent Apply?)

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted after your application is received, if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of 3 working days as long as your application was complete, paid for and correctly served.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event. Please see address below:

Northampton Magistrates Court
Regents Pavilion
Summerhouse Road
Moulton Park

Tel:01604 497000

Licence Holder Redress - please contact us directly

Consumer Complaint

If you are not satisfied with the service we would always recommend that you should complain to the person or service who first dealt with the matter. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive at this stage you should then complain via the formal complaints procedure for your authority which is available on their website.

You can take your complaint a step further by writing to the Executive Director who will arrange for it to be investigated. You should receive a reply within 10 days, but if the matter is complex, or other organisations need to be contacted, it may take longer. But we will still let you know what action is being taken. You should give all the details of your complaint and say what you have done to try to get it put right. If you are still not happy after using our own complaints procedure you can complain to the Local government Ombudsman. A free booklet is available from all council offices.

Other Redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event. Please see above for the address.

EUGO logo