Cookie Consent by Dangerous Wild Animals | Environmental Health Licences | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Environmental Health Licences

Dangerous Wild Animals

Licence Summary

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 aims to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public and safeguard the welfare of the animals.

The Act does not apply to any dangerous wild animals kept in a zoo, pet shop or registered scientific establishment. These premises are registered under their own specific legislation.

Eligibility Criteria

Where we grant a licence, we will impose conditions which cover issues such as :

  • Not more than the number of animals stated on the Licence shall be kept by the Licensee, or in his absence, the person delegated by the Licensee. No other animal specified in the Schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 shall be kept by the applicant at any time during the licence.
  • The animals to which this Licence applies shall, at all times, be kept at the licensed address and shall not be moved from those premises.
  • A policy of insurance against liability for any damage caused by the animals shall be held by the licensee in his/her own name and in the name of the person delegated by the Licensee. The sum assured by the policy shall not be less than £500,000.00
  • Security of animal enclosures shall be maintained at all times.
  • In the event of escape of any of the animals the licensing authority shall be notified as soon as possible.

An application fee should be paid at the time of your application and you will also be required to pay all veterinary inspection fees before the licence is issued. You will need to comply with any conditions attached to the licence once issued.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

Licences are required for any animal which appears on the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 Schedule . Licences are issued by the Local Authority and will only be granted when the Authority is satisfied that it would not be contrary to public interest on the grounds of safety or nuisance; that the applicant is a suitable person; and that the animals' accommodation is adequate and secure. Licences are issued for two years. At additional cost to the applicant, we arrange a veterinary inspection before issue of first licence and if required on renewal.

Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything within 28 days?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply by post (online applications not permitted)

Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

Tell us about a change to your existing licence. Email

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Magistrates court. Please see below for address:

Northampton Magistrates Court
Regents Pavilion
Summerhouse Road
Moulton Park

Tel: 01604 497000

A court may give directions on the issue of a licence.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates court who may also give directions on the issue of a condition. Please see above for address.

Consumer Complaint

If you are not satisfied with the service you should complain to the person or service who first dealt with the matter. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive at this stage you should then complain via the formal complaints procedure for your authority which is available on the authority website.

You should receive a reply within 10 days, but if the matter is complex, or other organisations need to be contacted, it may take longer. But you will still be told what action is being taken. You should give all the details of your complaint and say what you have done to try to get it put right.

If you are still not happy after using this complaints procedure you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Trade Associations

Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons

Pet Care

EUGO logo