Cookie Consent by Caravan and Camping Sites Guidance | Environmental Health Licences | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Environmental Health Licences

Caravan and Camping Sites Guidance

Information and Guidance

The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence.

There are some exceptions

  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only
  • Sites occupied by the user, for example designated Traveller sites
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months

Caravan Site Licence Conditions

Licences have conditions which include:

  • The type of caravan, e.g. residential, static holiday or touring. 
  • The permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans.
  • Water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities.
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations.

If you are an occupier of a Caravan Site

You should have a licence already but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, you should send us the licence and a completed change of details application.

If you are to become an occupier of a Caravan Site

Licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent for the transfer. You should send us the licence with a completed application request for transfer.

If you are a potential occupier of a Caravan Site

Before you apply you or your legal advisor should check that all the land used for siting caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence. If you wish to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

Exemption certificates

Organisations such as hobby or leisure clubs, or the Scouts may apply via GOV.UK for an exemption certificate

Does Tacit Consent apply if you don’t hear anything?

Yes, unless you have agreed to have the statutory period extended further.

This means that you will be able to act as though your licence is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the two month statutory consultation period.

Failed application redress

(Note this does not apply to incomplete or invalid applications)

Please contact us in the first instance as we may be able to give you some advice.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the committee hearing date. Please see details below:

Northampton Magistrates Court
Regents Pavilion
Summerhouse Road
Moulton Park Northampton
NN3 6BJ                                

Telephone: 01604 497000

Licence holder redress

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' Court at the address above.

We may alter conditions on your licence at any time but we must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If you (the licence holder) disagree with the alterations then you may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on us.