To run a sex shop - (for example any premises selling sex toys, books or videos) or a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you will need a licence from us.
We would strongly advise you to get some pre-application advice from the Licensing Officer prior to submitting an application as there are local policies about limits set on how many of these establishments will be allowed in an area. Please contact the Central Administration Unit on firstname.lastname@example.org for the Licensing Officer contact details.
- must be at least 18 years old
- must not be disqualified from holding a licence
- must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
- must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal
Application Evaluation Process
An application fee is payable on a new application and also upon renewal of an existing licence. See the fee schedule for details. Conditions may be attached to the licence.
Applications must contain all required information, including the applicant's name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises.
Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper and by displaying a notice outside the premises for a specific time period to give passers by the opportunity to comment by a statutory closing date.
Does tacit consent apply if I haven't heard anything after 28 days?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please get in touch. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.
Apply By Post
Failed Application Redress
Please contact us in the first instance.
Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence, may, within 21 days of being notified of the refusal, appeal to the local magistrates' court. Please see address below:
Northamptonshire Magistrates Court
Northampton NN3 6BJ
Please note the right to appeal does not apply where the licence was refused (or revoked) on the grounds that:
- the number of sex establishments in the area exceeds the number which the authority consider is appropriate
- the grant of the licence would be inappropriate considering the character of the area, the nature of other premises in the area, or the premises themselves
Licence Holder Redress
Please contact us in the first instance.
A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court. See above address.
If you are not satisfied with the service we would always recommend that you should complain to the person who first dealt with the matter. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive at this stage you should then complain to the Head of Environmental Services giving details of your complaint.
You can take the complaint a step further by writing to the Executive Director who will arrange for it to be investigated. You should receive a reply within 10 days, but if the matter is complex, or if other organisations need to be contacted, it may take longer. But we will still let you know what action is being taken. You should give all the details of your complaint and say what you have done to try to get it put right. If you are still not happy after using our own complaints procedure you can complain to the Local government Ombudsman. A free booklet is available from all council offices.
Any person objecting to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence may give written notice of their objection to the relevant authority, stating the grounds of the objection, within 28 days of the date of the application.
- What are Environmental Health Licences?
- Animal Boarding Establishments
- Boat Licensing (East Northants only)
- Camping and Caravan Sites / Mobile Homes Licence
- Dangerous Wild Animals
- Environmental Permitting
- Dog Breeding
- House to House Collections
- Pet Shops
- Riding Establishment Licence
- Scrap Metal Dealer Licence
- Sex Establishments (you are here)
- Street Collections
- Acupuncture,Tattooists, Piercing and Electrolysis
- Zoo Licensing
- Application by Post Forms
- Animal Licensing
- Other Licences
- Street Traders
- Caravan and Camping Sites Guidance
- Mobile Homes Guidance