Waste collections today - 25 Jan

Due to the dangerous conditions of roads, there will be no waste collections today. These will now take place on Saturday. All collections from tomorrow will be as normal. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Environmental Health Licences

Scrap Metal Dealer Licence

Licence Summary

To be a scrap metal dealer, you need to be licensed with us in accordance with the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to carry on a business as a scrap metal dealer within our area you need a licence. A Licence will last for 3 years. Trading without a licence is a criminal offence.

There are 2 types of licence specified in the Act:

Site Licence

Sites where the licensee carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified, and a site manager has to be named for each site. This licence allows a licensee to transport scrap metal to and from those sites within any local authority area.

Collectors Licence

This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing authority. It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council the collector wishes to collect waste in. The licence does not authorise the licensee to operate a site; to do so they will need a site licence from the relevant local authority.

It should be noted that the dealer can only hold one type of licence in any one local authority area. They have to decide whether they are going to have a site or a mobile licence in any one area. They cannot hold both a site and a mobile collectors licence from the same council.

Do I need a collectors licence?

Links to legislation and guidance

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 

Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 Supplementary Guidance

Application Process

From 1 October 2013 all Scrap Metal Dealers will need to make an application to be licensed in accordance with the above legislation. The only exception being Scrap Metal Dealers and Motor Salvage Operators who are currently registered with us, who have until 15 October 2013 to make application.

Please note that Northamptonshire Licensing Partnership will be administering all Scrap Metal Dealer Licence Applications on behalf of Corby, East Northants, Kettering and Wellingborough Councils. The Individual Councils will determine the suitability of your application.

The application form and accompanying guidance, see link below, will help you to complete your application. If you require any assistance with its completion please contact us. Once you have completed the form either send your completed form to the Licensing Unit at East Northamptonshire House, Cedar Drive, Thrapston NN14 4LZ or contact us on 01832 742102 to arrange a face to face appointment to go through your application. Please note appointments can be arranged at the Council's office in Cedar Drive Thrapston between the hours of 10 and 12am and 2 and 4pm  Monday to Friday.

In order for us to successfully process your application you will need to ensure that you bring the following documentation to your appointment;

  • Completed Application Form
  • 2 x Passport Photographs (For collectors only)
  • You must supply a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check issued within the last three months.  Please ensure a basic disclosure certificate is obtained and enclosed for all directors, partners and site managers referred to on the application form. You may request a DBS check via GOV.UK
  • Application Fee

Please Note we do not accept cash payments.

Once we have accepted your application you will receive a letter of acknowledgement.

We aim to process your application within 6-8 weeks. If your Council refuses your licence or wishes to apply conditions you have the right of appeal and you will be able to continue trading until the appeal is heard. If you wish to discuss your application with the Licensing Officer at your Council, please contact us and we will give you an officer name and number to contact.

Application Form (online applications not permitted)

Application form and accompanying guidance for a scrap metal dealer licence.

Application form to change a scrap metal dealer licence.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance and we will provide the name and contact details of the Licensing Officer within your local authority.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance and we will provide the name and contact details of the Licensing Officer within your local authority.

Consumer Complaint

If you are not satisfied with the service you should complain to the person who first dealt with the matter. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive at this stage you should then complain to the Head of Environmental Services giving details of your complaint.

You can take your complaint a step further by writing to the Executive Director who will arrange for it to be investigated. You should receive a reply within 10 days, but if the matter is complex, or other organisations need to be contacted, it may take longer. But we will still let you know what action is being taken. You should give all the details of your complaint and say what you have done to try to get it put right.

If you are still unhappy after using our own complaints procedure you can complain to the Local government Ombudsman. A free booklet is available from all council offices.

Trade Associations

British Metals Recycling Association (BMRA)

International Lead Association

International Aluminium Institute

Metal Bulletin

EUGO logo