Coronavirus advice - Stay alert, help control the virus and save lives

For more information and the latest guidance on Covid-19

Understand your Council Tax bill

East Northamptonshire Council provides value for money services to over 80,000 residents and businesses in the district. Your Council Tax helps to pay for local services provided by county, district and parish councils, as well as the police and fire and rescue services. As your district council, we collect the money on behalf of all these partners.

The majority of our services can be accessed on our Do It Online page, saving you the time of queuing at one of our Customer Service Centres. You can also access information about our waste and recycling service, viewing planning applications and how to contact us.

Your guide to Council Tax

Most of your council tax goes to Northamptonshire County Council (NCC) and The Office of Northamptonshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (OPFCC). For the average council tax payer this amounts to around 85.43% of the total bill. The town and parish councils ask us to raise their share which varies between areas, and the figures for Band D are shown below.

The remaining 7.93% is kept by East Northamptonshire Council to run the services we are responsible for.


This is how the bill is divided up:

How the Council Tax bill is separated
Authority %

 Northamptonshire County Council


 Northamptonshire County Council (Adult Social Care)


 The Northamptonshire Commissioner Fire and Rescue Authority Fire Precept


 Northamptonshire Police, Fire & Crime Commissioner Policing Precept 13.60

East Northamptonshire Council


 Parish Average




This information is part of your Council Tax bill. Please visit the Northamptonshire County Council and The Office of Northamptonshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner.

Business Rates

These are paid on commercial properties. The council sends out the bills and collects the money on behalf of the government. Under the business rates retention arrangements introduced from 1/4/2013, authorities keep a portion of the business rates paid locally.

Of the £36.014m collected from 4177 businesses in 2020/21, East Northamptonshire Council will retain approximately £6.233m. This money is then used, together with income from council tax payers and revenue support grant from the government, to pay for the services we provide.

Business rates are worked out by multiplying the rateable value of a property by an annual set figure, or multiplier. The set figures for this year are 49.9p for small businesses and 51.2p for others, and are the same across the country. The rateable value of a property is set by the Valuation Office; all properties are revalued every five years and the next revaluation will be 01/04/2021.

How much money we raise

Cost of ENC services and how they are paid for.

Why has our budget requirement changed?



 Salary Incr./(Decr.)


 Contract inflation


 Service pressure




 Additional income


 Service reduction


 Techical Adjustments


 Changes in Parish precepts


 Increase in net interest receivable


 Movement on reserves/balances (735)

Increase/(Decrease) in budget requirement


How much we have been asked to raise for parish/town councils

Amounts for parish/town councils

Town council expenditure and contact details for your town clerk

Expenditure of town councils and town clerk contact information.

Council Tax bill explanatory notes

The following notes are designed to help explain the Council Tax bill you have received.

Council Tax valuation bands

Council Tax must be paid on most types of home. There is one bill per property, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented. Each property has a valuation band related to its market value at 1 April 1991.

Council Tax valuation bands
Valuation band Range of values
 A  Values not exceeding £40,000
 B  £40,000 - £52,000
 C  £52,000 - £68,000
 D  £68,000 - £88,000
 E  £88,000 - £120,000
 F  £120,000 - £160,000
 G  £160,000 - £320,000
 H  More than £320,000

Exempt properties and Empty properties

Some homes are exempt, including those occupied only by students, persons aged under 18, severely mentally impaired persons and empty properties which:

  • are owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months);
  • are left empty by someone who has gone into prison, hospital or a nursing or residential care home.
  • are left empty by someone who has moved in order to provide personal care to another person.
  • are waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (and for up to six months after).
  • have been repossessed.
  • are the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee.
  • are empty because occupation is forbidden by law.
  • are armed forces barracks and married quarters.
  • are occupied by a member of a visiting force.
  • are an unoccupied annexe to a main dwelling.
  • are occupied by a diplomat.
  • are a granny annexe occupied by a dependent relative.

Properties that have been empty for two years and are not exempt are subject to a 150% council tax charge.

Visit our Exemptions page for more information. If you think your property may be exempt, contact us for a leaflet and application.

Council Tax Support

People on low incomes may be entitled to Council Tax Support If you think that you may qualify but have not yet applied, it is important that you do so immediately.

PLEASE NOTE If you do make an application you must still pay your council tax by the due dates, while the application is being considered. If your application is successful, you will get a refund of any overpaid tax.


If only one adult lives in a property the Council Tax bill will be reduced by a quarter.

We will not count certain people when looking at the number of adults who are living in a property if they meet certain conditions. These include:

  • Full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and Youth Training trainees.
  • Patients resident in hospital.
  • People who are being looked after in care homes.
  • People who are severely mentally impaired.
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters.
  • 18-19 year olds who are at or have just left school.
  • Care-workers working for low pay, usually for charities.
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18.
  • Diplomats, members of visiting forces and certain international institutions.
  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns).
  • People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
  • Annexes - may qualify for a 50% discount if it is occupied by a relative.

If a discount is not shown on your bill and you think you may be entitled to one, contact us straight away. If your bill shows that a discount has been allowed, you must tell us within 21 days of any change in circumstances affecting your entitlement. If you don't do this you could have to pay a penalty of £70.

We will use the information you have provided to process your claim for Council Tax discount. We may check some of the information with other departments within the council, Valuation Office, a credit reference agency, other councils and other organisations as allowed by the law.

People with disabilities

You may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax bill if you, or someone who lives with you, need a room or an extra bathroom or kitchen or extra space in your home to meet special needs arising from a disability. Your bill can be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band shown in the valuation list. Special arrangements apply to band A properties. These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more tax on account of space needed because of a disability. If your property has already been placed in a lower band this is shown on the bill.

If your home has special fixtures which have been added for a disabled resident which you believe reduces the property value and you do not think this has been taken into account in the valuation band, please contact the Listing Officer at the address shown below.


If you believe that your property should be in a different band, you can write to The Listing Officer, Valuation Office Agency (Inland Revenue), Princess House, Cliftonville Road, Northampton, NN1 5AE; Tel: 03000 501 501, asking for the valuation list to be altered. Valuations are based on the estimated sale price of dwellings as at 1 April 1991. A general fall or rise in house prices will not in itself give grounds for appeal.

PLEASE NOTE If you do make an appeal you must still pay your Council Tax by the due dates, while the application is being considered. If your appeal is successful you will get a refund of any overpaid tax.

You can appeal if you believe you are not liable to pay Council Tax eg because you are not the resident or owner; or because your property is exempt; or that the council has made a mistake in calculating your bill. If you want to appeal on these grounds you must notify us in writing.


From 1 April 2013, Council Tax payers can choose to pay over twelve months. If you would like to use this facility , please email or send us a written request (This is a legal requirement) by 15 April 2020.

How to pay

Council Tax is a yearly charge paid over instalments.  The payment dates and amounts are shown on your bill.  You must pay each instalment by the due date. There are many ways to pay.