Council Tax reduction for carers

A Council Tax discount may be given to those employed in the provision of care and/or support to a person or persons.  Such a person will usually belong to an organisation like Community Service Volunteers or could be employed by a public body or by the person for whom they care.

In order to qualify for this reduction, the following conditions must be met.

The applicant's employer must be:

  • a charitable organisation, or
    a public authority, or
    person(s) to whom care support is provided
  • the applicant must work for at least 24 hours in each week
  • the applicant's salary must not exceed £44 per week
  • the applicant must reside in the premises provided by the employer for the purposes of their employment.

Please complete the online form.


You may be entitled to a discount if you provide care for someone but are not employed to do so.  To qualify as a carer:

  • you must provide care to someone who is not your spouse or partner and not your child (aged under 18 years)
  • you must live at the same address and you must provide care for more than 35 hours per week

The person to whom you provide care must be in receipt of one of the following allowances:

  • middle or higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • an increased Disablement Pension
  • an increased Constant Attendance Allowance.

Please complete the Application form and return it to us.