Coronavirus advice - Stay alert, help control the virus and save lives

For more information and the latest guidance on Covid-19

Housing and Council Tax Support - A guide for students

A guide for students

Most full time students cannot claim housing benefit because the Government expects them to use other money like their grant, student loan or access funds to pay their rent.

The Housing and Council Tax Support regulations say that a student is a person who is studying at a college of further education or a university.

A student might be able to claim Housing and Council Tax Support if they are:

  • a part time student
  • a student who is responsible for a child or young person
  • a single foster parent
  • aged 60 or over
  • get income support or income based jobseekers allowance
  • meet the conditions for the disability premium or severe disability premium
  • have not been able to work for 28 weeks
  • qualify for a disabled students allowance because you are deaf
  • are under 19 and not in higher education
  • have a partner who is not a student (they need to claim, not you)
  • have to interrupt your course due to illness or caring responsibilities (and the college or university have agreed to this)

You can find further information on 'A guide for students' leaflet.