How to make a claim

To claim Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit you will need to complete a claim form.

All forms must be fully completed and you will need to provide documents that confirm things about you, your partner and children (if appropriate). The documents you will need relate to your:

  • Identity
  • National Insurance Number
  • Income
  • Capital
  • Other members of your household

Your benefits cannot be calculated until all relevant documents are received but don't let this delay sending your form in. Please note that you only have one calendar month to provide supporting evidence.

If there are special circumstances that mean there will be a delay in getting together your documentation please let us know.

Once all your supporting documents have been received, we aim to complete an assessment of your case within 10 working days.

We recognise that Council Tax Support is a complex area so please contact us for help and advise with completing the form.

If you are making a claim for other benefits such as Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Pension Credits you will need to contact Jobcentre Plus. For further information please visit the GOV.UK website.