Local Housing Allowance

What is Local Housing Allowance?

The Government has changed the way we work out and pay Housing Benefit for some private tenants from 7 April 2008. By 'private tenant' we mean somebody who rents their home from a private landlord.

Local Housing Allowance is to help with the cost of rent and will take the place of Housing Benefit for some private tenants.

It is a fixed rate based on the locality of your property and the number of bedrooms you need, not how much the rent is.

This is the maximum figure that can be used to calculate Local Housing Allowance. The amount of Local Housing Allowance you will get will depend upon your income, capital and if you have other adults living with you.

The locality of your property is decided by the independent rent officer.

The number of bedrooms you need depends on the number of people who live with you.

The rules say how many bedrooms you and your family need.

You will need one bedroom for:

  • every adult couple;
  • any other adult aged 16 or over;
  • any two children of the same sex aged under 16;
  • any two children regardless of sex aged under 10; or
  • any other child aged under 16.