Homelessness and housing advice

Leaving hospital

If your accommodation is no longer suitable for your needs, there are two options, making adaptions to your current home or looking to move to more suitable accommodation. Usually for both options you will need an Occupational Therapist report which assesses your needs, speak to your OT team at the hospital.


Does your home need some adaptions made so that you can continue to live there? If so you could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • Widen doors and install ramps
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities – e.g. stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • Provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • Adapt heating or lighting to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

Alternative accommodation

If you have a local connection to East Northamptonshire and you are about to leave or recently left hospital and have not secured accommodation,
you can contact us for advice and housing options. –

Homes Direct
50 High Street South
NN10 0QX
Tel: 0345 600 5050

If your accommodation is no longer suitable for you due to a change in your medical needs:

  • Register for housing on line
  • Complete a medical assessment form
  • Your application will then go to a panel who will consider your situation and will award a band for ENC area only on Homes Direct.

Please be aware that there are a limited number of adapted properties available and it may take some time before a suitable property can be offered to you.

Search for available properties and apply through Homes Direct

Useful links for accommodation and support


More information

  1. Homelessness and housing advice
  2. Leaving hospital (you are here)
  3. Apply for Housing and FAQs