Retaliatory Evictions by Landlords
On 1 October 2015 a number of provisions in the Deregulation Act 2015 came into force which affect tenancies commencing on or after 1 October 2015. These provisions are designed to protect tenants against unfair eviction. From 1 October, where a tenant makes a genuine complaint about the condition of their property that has not been addressed by their landlord, their complaint has been verified by a local authority inspection, and the local authority has served either an improvement notice or a notice of emergency remedial action, a landlord cannot evict that tenant for 6 months. The landlord is also required to ensure that the repairs are completed.
- Information for Private Sector Tenants and Landlords
- Deposit Protection and Redress Schemes
- Energy Efficiency and Energy Performance Certifcates
- Retaliatory Evictions by Landlords (you are here)
- At the end of the tenancy